• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made it so impossible for myself again..

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Or @Lincee Is it that you like feathered company to give you solace and comfort? Something you may not have thought of? :hug9:

Faun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faun
Can you take more time to think about it? When you say you rehomed the flock in December that was not that long ago and I am not saying you shouldn't but this could be an impulsive emotional decision led by guilt. My concern is you say you would be afraid you would change your mind. Why do you feel you'd change your mind? I would take a step back and make a list of why you want these birds (pros) and why you may not be ready (cons) before you come to a final decision. They are gorgeous birds and wish you the best with your ultimate choice!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well, the problem was they needed to be get rid of. And today we went and got them, and it was heartbreaking :(
they where in an unheated shed, they never had anything more then seed and bread soaked in water. So i took them in ofcourse, i am not impervious to animal cruelty..

i was told they are not tame and mostly left to their own in the shed. But on the way home we heard, i think, the male wistle and talk gibberish. They seem also not very afraid, so i keep them! I have no fear of beeing evicted, im on permanent antidepressants now, and they make such soft little sounds.. And unlike my ol flock they seem to like beeing with themselves, so i should not feel guilty whenever a day i feel not ready to spend a few hours to play with them! And like with the old flock, if i do need to rehome them, then i shoud not feel guilty, but instead feel happy i got them to the best place possible, and not to the highest bidder on ebay, i suppose :)

Unfortunatly,i gave everything away with the flock, so im just scraping stuff here and there for the time beeing!

The male is Max, and the female (bald one) is Yoshi (after someone who answered here.. LOVE the name). Max is allready puffing up ad protecting Yoshi.. which i find both heroic and cute!

they take wallnut from the finger, and i also smelled the sweet honey like smell! Is this a good sign, or can it also be a bad (agressive, nervous, stressed) sign?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you did the right thing taking them out of that situation. I hope everything works out with them for you.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor babies, I'm so so happy that they're out of that horrible situation, and that they had a soft place to land with you! Even if you can't keep them forever, they are SO much better off now. :heart:

My pionus always smelled super sweet when she was really happy or excited.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You really are an angel :heart:

I hope they settle in fast and bring you much joy :) I know they will be so much happier and healthier for having met you!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You need them as much as they needed you even if you don't know it yet. Maxis tend to be able to hang out on their own and entertain themselves , eat, and snooze quite nicely. They TEND to be quiet, though not always, and usually gentle souls, though Lurch certain was not at first. They like to observe their situation and figure it out and start coming out and doing more as they decide how everything works and you are trustworthy and safe to be around. Seeing how they have each other you wont have to worry so much about giving them time out with you when your having a bad day and their happy noises and gurgles will help calm you. When I didn't have a Pionus here it made me sad so we always ended up with another one that needed a good home as I like and understand them so well now. My first two was a sibling set and they loved each other and stuck together like glue, even leaning on each other when sleeping like feathered book ends.
@Eloy should jump in here if she hasn't while I'm typing and give her perspective and advice as her girls are very happy and loved.
I'm glad you did this for them and good on you, you will help each other.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My concern is you say you would be afraid you would change your mind. Why do you feel you'd change your mind?
That doesn't matter.
They needed a good home asap and if Jan change his mind I know he will find a good home for them.

I also feel a little bit quilty for I kinda persuade Jan to take them.
All that matters right now is that they are safe. ❤❤❤
they take wallnut from the finger, and i also smelled the sweet honey like smell! Is this a good sign, or can it also be a bad (agressive, nervous, stressed) sign?
It can be both so be very carefully.
They smell when they are excited.

I recommend that you are not handling them at all, more then necessary.
Even if they seems fine, Pionus are birds that needs time to settle in.
Just like Terry says. :)

Are the male aggressive to the female?
Are she allowed to do whatever she wants?
I was thinking about her plucked head.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Eloy

I agree- Im looking at that plucked head. Pionus are very different from many species, they need adjustment time.
Their feathers are also not in great condition. Did you check for weight? all in due time. But for now, just let them relax and dont touch them IMO.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh no @Eloy never feel guilty! Im a grown man! Whatever i do its on me! And it was i who was seeking your help, you didnt force me into anything :)

aside from giving them a walnut i left them to themselves, i was quite tired from today’s big amount of people to interact with so i was in no mood to start handling them anyway, they need to settle in just as much as i do :rofl:

honestly, i think i was hooked the minute i saw them. My dad is not much of a parrot man (he and i share a finch aviary in his backyard) But he said even he would take them in. Im a sucker for animals in need i suppose.

I dont think i will be rehoming them, comes worst i will build a nice indoor aviary and let them live out there lives there. I have a 2 story, 3 bedroom house to myself. Ofcourse now i curse myself for giving away the large outdoor aviary to the sanctuary but hey they could use it so bad, so i suppose that was my “good deed” for theirs. 2 months may not be a long time for some, but i do believe it taught me that i need to have al the wonders of at least SOME feathers around.

Yeah Yoshi’s head im not sure about.. in the few short hours i saw them, Max really didnt seem agressive towards Yoshi (like i said, more protective) but i will have to keep an eye on that ofcourse. I suppose i could try and mist them tomorrow. I will bet on it they never saw a shower either so thats an area to work on as well. I can not say for sure ofcourse, but i think they where used for breeding. Yoshi is 10, Max is 2 and i guess they wanted to get rid of them because that didnt work or something. But these are just my gut feeling, i really dindnt do a long talk because i was tired and just wanted to get them out of that barn (or shed, not sure whats the difference at this hour). We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

And yes, maybe this was an impulse thing. Although i wonder how impulse something can be if you spend a few days talking about it. But i really felt bad when i thought of the idea of them beeing sold off alone. I feel it is better for them to stay together. I will make sure of that :heart:

oh well, ive set up the camera so i can see them at all times :) now i need to grab some much needed sleep! And ofcourse im not used to writing such long posts about my own melodrama. I prefer listening to someone else’s :hehe:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi!! Loved the birdies and supper excited that they are with you! It was meant to be. :heart::heart:

the second pic kills me. :loltears:

’hey watch where you poop!! I’m right below you!’ ‘ do that one more time :kickout: !’

:laughing7:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your awesome for taking them in. No matter what happens down the road, their lives will be happier because of you!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From my experience with Leia, Pionuses like to hang out with you but don't insist on constant attention. Your two new friends have each other so won't ask for your constant attention. I think you three could get on very well together :)

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I think you did the right thing, they were in a pretty terrible situation, at least now they'll have some toys and better food and access to a vet! My maxi is a bit of a loner, and very willful, but gentle and smart too. She needed 3-4 days to get comfortable enough with me to even come close. Just go slowly and I think things will be fine. The sweet smell can be from positive excitement, like happiness but also from anger, so just take it slow haha

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thank you for getting them out of there. Whatever happens from here is better than where they were.