• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made it so impossible for myself again..

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Early December i rehomed my flock, 2 Senegals (bonded, but one not tame) an Amazon (traumatized) and a grey. They ended up really well, and while i still await some pictures, from the stories they have found friends (they went to a sanctuary) and are doing well.

Last week i got a call from someone offering my a bonded pair of Maxi Pionus. Ofcourse i said no. Having rehomed my flock i didnt feel like going through that all again.

But then ofcourse sleeptime came, and i kept wondering, what would happen if they end up on graigslist? They my be separated, or end up with the wrong people, ending up locked away in cages.. and so, after talking with a lot of friends about it, they are coming in tomorrow!

I am not sure yet, i may still rehome them, but then at least i know they end up well (i make sure of that). But i also done some reading, and they seem to be quieter and more to themselves then amazons, greys and pois. But then that also makes me feel a bit like a hypocrite :(

what would others do? (And yes, i value honest answers with respect, regardless of one’s opinion)

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Life is crazy and ever changing. Just because you weren't in a good place for birds before doesn't mean you never will be.
I'd take the birds, and make them feel loved and safe and ready for a home. If that home is yours, you'll know it. If not, then you'll rest easy knowing they are in the best home you could find.
And post pics!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Ditto on what Chelsea said. That was then this is now. The fact that you even considered it rather than flat no, shows to me that you have been healing more than you thought. Other than feeling some guilt, is the thought of them coming home to you sending panic waves through you? Are you feeling that this is going to be ok? etc...

I think you had too much happening then and all was overwhelming you. Your getting things back on track with your health , your landlord situation and so on is putting you in a better place.

and as mentioned, no matter what, the birdies will be better with you that knows how to care for them than who knows what or where or who with they would end up.

looking forward to readings updates and IF for some reason it did not work out quite the way you plan, no shame in that whatsoever.

but it seems to me you have made giant leaps in your overall health these last few months, and that is wonderful to see!

see you and your babies soon!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think helping an animal in need is never the wrong decision. Take the birds in and see how things go. Whether you keep them or not, they will end up in a good place because of you.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well, it is true that i am back on the antidepressants, but part of it is also, these pionusses (from what i read) seem to be able to be on their own and still be content, i suppose aslong as they are well cared for, they would maybe not mind if i feel lousy and unable to give them the atention they need for a few days?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
This is them now, not sure what to make of the cage, but if i keep them there will have to come a new one ofcourse

Attachments

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
They are beautiful! I know absolutely nothing about them.
I thought they were a type of conure.:rolleyes:

and even if you have bad days or a few strung together, they will still have each other as well as a better life with you no mattter what. I am so happy you seem ok with doing this. It was great to see you inter act with your mom‘s but these are your babies again. :heart::heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
:cngrt5:Congrats on the new birds! Do you think you'll keep them or rehome them?
(BTW If you're into un-needy birds, maybe you could keep an open eye for some small birds too.;) I see a lot of rehomed parakeets, cockatiels, and lovebirds that aren't good pet-quality)
:hug8:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I have lots of days where life gets the better of me and birdies don't get the attention they need. They forgive you, and tomorrow is a new day!
That little one with the old man hairstyle is just too sweet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Well, it is true that i am back on the antidepressants, but part of it is also, these pionusses (from what i read) seem to be able to be on their own and still be content, i suppose aslong as they are well cared for, they would maybe not mind if i feel lousy and unable to give them the atention they need for a few days?
I think sometimes knowing that you have animals that need you can be encouragement to get up do things etc. That said, as long as they have food and water, I would think they would be okay without attention for a little while.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Lincee you know you shouldn’t do this, you’re going to get either very attached and give these guys a wicked cool home or find these guys a suitable forever home if yours is not the right place...... this is such a bad bad thing to do! NOT.
I can’t understand why you want us to tell you not to do this- it will be good for you all. All my best wishes for them being a perfect match for your home :heart:
You’re an angel :heart2:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Lincee Me.
Your title says "I made it impossible for myself again"

I think the title says it all. Your emotions/vs logical thought. I would speak to your therapist, when geting on medication- they often recomend not making life changing (30 year) commitments until you are stabilized and at peace.

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
Hi Lincee, I guess you want everyones opinion because you feel guilty of bringing new birds in while you've recently rehomed yours... I understand that. But I also understand that when you feel much better (due to the medication) you can feel like your up to parronting again. I think having someone to care is very important and positive. If you're unsure of yourself maybe just take them in with the intent of rehoming and who knows? Btw do you know "Hope for Wings"? I have referred quite a few people to them. Interested to learn what you decide!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes! Hope for Wings is actually the ones i contacted when i first got Luka but i had no luck with them :( Lots of people wanted Luka, but i found none suitable.. someone even anted Luka but couldnt pay for the trip to get her.. so i figured, if you cant pay that, how will you pay the vet bills?

Well, i will first give them some time to get used to pellets etc. At the moment they only eat seed, have no toys etc. so i’ll have to work on that i guess, and if they are indeed “low maintenance” birds, then who knows :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You're so talking to the wrong group of people for that answer. :roflmao:
Yeah, i even asked my friends, but they all agree “It’s not right, not hearing you talk about birds” so heh, no luck there!

And as someone mentioned, its indeed a “mind vs heart” thing.. that makes it hard i suppose!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If having companion pi's makes you feel better and gives you somebirdies to talk to, I'd say go for it. You have the parront experience and hopefully these may stay with you. Think about it.