• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I made a platform swing

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I came to the realisation yesterday that Adelie and Sydney don´t use the swing (the one I lowered for Adelie in her prev. cage) at all. So it is taking up space that I could use for something else. I was thinking about ordering a platform swing to see if she liked that more, but I also had pulled an old hanging climbing frame we don´t use out of the cupboard to give to Charlie... and then I thought, If I cut the bottom line off the climbing frame, I can string the wood together and make my own swing - so that is what I did. The climbing frame was quite large, so being a little smaller will work better for Charlie (who lives in Adelies old cage).
It was really easy to make, I lined up the four wood pieces, thread strong wire through, looping a SS ring on each end to keep the wood from unthreading.
Then using leather ¨rope¨, I tied the two pieces in a knot with an O ring threaded on, then added some beads, then tied the ends onto the SS rings. I had to adjust one of the strings as it was higher than the rest, but more or less it was perfect first time :)
I have seen Adelie sitting on it this morning, so it has already been used more than the swing ever was in this cage.

IMG_20201014_152855.jpg

IMG_20201014_152903.jpg

Adélie instantly eyeing up the new swing,
IMG_20201014_153310.jpg IMG_20201014_153313.jpg

IMG_20201014_153529.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:heart2:Love it!!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Looks great! :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do Adelie and Sydney chew alot? If it were for my budgie pair I would be making it weekly
The wood is quite hard. And they aren´t really chewers, Adelie likes balsa, Sydney only chews paper to make tails with.
Sydney used to have a climbing frame like the one I cut up, and he never chewed it.
this was the thing I used (along with a photoshopped disproportioned budgie lol ), I cut the rope just above the bottom wooden pieces, and the chain was removed from the inside.

I would have loved to make one of those cute hanging baskets or dishes... but they would be up there in it all the time and Adelie would lay. I think they´ll be ok on a platform though. I don´t think they can actually fit on it together, which is probably for the best.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was thinking about ordering a platform swing
Just want to add, because I was feeling bad about not ordering the swing and making it myself, I will be sure to order something else in it´s place as it is a smaller business. They make little natural branch perches that would be perfect for my emergency cages (you know, the ones I only have 1 out of 7 of :rolleyes: ) so I´ll be picking up a dozen and I´ll see what I think my birds will like from the catalogue to buy in place of the swing :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks awesome!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That's cute!

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
SO cute!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I will be sure to order something else in it´s place as it is a smaller business
I ordered something :D It cost almost three times the amount but it is something that caught my eye instantly because I have never seen anything like it.
I will post a picture when it comes and we test it out - not sure when that will be, they said there´s about 30 orders before mine, I don´t mind waiting, plus it will be custom made for me :bliss: ... I mean... custom made for my birds :rolleyes: :lol:

anurim

Strolling the yard
This looks great! You inspired me, maybe I'll try to make one of those as well ;) And maybe hang it on Finn's new play gym, that would make a great addition!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s adorable! :loveshower:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well done @Zara! Looks perfect!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The wood is quite hard. And they aren´t really chewers, Adelie likes balsa, Sydney only chews paper to make tails with.
Sydney used to have a climbing frame like the one I cut up, and he never chewed it.
this was the thing I used (along with a photoshopped disproportioned budgie lol ), I cut the rope just above the bottom wooden pieces, and the chain was removed from the inside.

I would have loved to make one of those cute hanging baskets or dishes... but they would be up there in it all the time and Adelie would lay. I think they´ll be ok on a platform though. I don´t think they can actually fit on it together, which is probably for the best.
This is a fantastic idea! I think I have a few things I could re-use. Mine would love the wooden swing! I don't have a drill at home, I always forget that sometimes I can just take other stuff apart :)