• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I let my cage open for my 2 budgies and they wont come back

rein6970

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Justin
I've had my birds for a week now and wanted to try letting them have free flight time, as soon as they got out they went for my air conditioners, ceiling fans and wont come back down..They were there for quite awhile and I needed them to come back so i tried to grab them ( I know it was a mistake but i lost my patience ). Now they're back to the ceiling fan and wont come down.. I have my food above their cage too and i'm really worried.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long have they been out? Keep the food inside the cage to lure them in. You can also try putting a lamp near the cage and making the rest of the room dark to encourage them.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I'm hoping that there is no way for that ceiling fan to be accidently turned on. Leave them be with millet and seed inside thier cage with easy access to get into the cage (ladders and perches outside the cage opening). Hunger will eventually win out. In the meantime do you have any other landing places in the room and can you cover the air-conditioner?

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I've had my birds for a week now and wanted to try letting them have free flight time, as soon as they got out they went for my air conditioners, ceiling fans and wont come back down..They were there for quite awhile and I needed them to come back so i tried to grab them ( I know it was a mistake but i lost my patience ). Now they're back to the ceiling fan and wont come down.. I have my food above their cage too and i'm really worried.
If you're a beginner, it's been a week getting them home? The birds may scared, it is the reason they don't want to get back into the cage. You must give them time for Tame before free flight. Try to hand feed them daily even twice, If they got trust on you, won't run away even you're approaching to them. Keep the room dark, switch off all lights, switch on any torch and place it near the cage door, budgies have poor eye sight in the darkness. So they move to the cage side..

it works most of the times. in the emergency situations, you can hold them and keep them back to their cage, (I mean hold, not grab, be so gentle) but I won't suggest you to hold them before they tammed,. Don't grab them or Do not rush on them, it may hurt them, in the worst situations they may get heart attacks in panic, they may hit against walls, fans etc. Just be patient.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How did you get on Justin?

I think this link will be helpful for you while your birds are settling in to their new home;