• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I know there's already a thread on this topic but please humor me? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
I have been looking into getting a new cage for my dusky conure but have a question about bar spacing. She is just a little smaller than a sun but bigger than a green cheek so I don't know what size category she falls under. Would 1" be too wide? I was thinking about getting a double wide macaw cage (off CL) for her.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
Sadly 1 inch is much to wide for your conure. At that size, a conure risks getting its head stuck, or being able to fully escape.

Conures should have 5/8" or 3/4" spacing at maxium.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Bar Spacing, the bane of my existance!!!!! I cannot find a single cage with adequate size AND appropriate bar spacing for my IRN. I have placed deposit after deposit on Macaw cages, Amazon cages, etc. all of which had to be returned the moment I realized the bar spacing is still not small enough!! SOOO FRUSTRATED!
So I feel your pain. My husband says its because my quest to give our bird the largest possible cage is in vain, and that "normal" bird people just go with what the stores suggests. Well what the stores suggests for conures and IRN's is IMO too small for a freakin budgie!

Im wondering if there is a way I can MODIFY a large macaw cage or something...in the meantime, keep me posted on what you decide to do.
~rant complete~ LOL

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
••••, I just got an email response from my breeder.....I sent her an email last night demanding once and for all to know her thoughts on bar spacing and she SWEARS she has all her Conures and IRNs in cages with 1 inch bar spacing and has NEVER had an incident. I think Megan said the same on AA. She did say she wouldnt recommend any larger but that a 3 month IRN would be fine in 1 inch bar spacing...not what Ive heard here.....I suppose Id rather be safe than sorry, I'll just buy two cages! LOL

pineview01

Bar Spacing, the bane of my existance!!!!! I cannot find a single cage with adequate size AND appropriate bar spacing for my IRN. I have placed deposit after deposit on Macaw cages, Amazon cages, etc. all of which had to be returned the moment I realized the bar spacing is still not small enough!! SOOO FRUSTRATED!
So I feel your pain. My husband says its because my quest to give our bird the largest possible cage is in vain, and that "normal" bird people just go with what the stores suggests. Well what the stores suggests for conures and IRN's is IMO too small for a freakin budgie!

Im wondering if there is a way I can MODIFY a large macaw cage or something...in the meantime, keep me posted on what you decide to do.
~rant complete~ LOL
You could always get one made to order! I Getting one made and just asked for 1.5 inch on centers, 1/4 inch bars giving me a 1.25 space.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
What does something like that cost, and where in Canada could I get that done?

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
My dusky has an A&E flight cage and she loves it. It is very roomy and has the right bar spacing. You can find them on craigslist all of the time, that's were I got mine. Personally, I like my GCC's HQ flight cage because it has two doors.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Have you thought about a double flight cage?
16421 HQ Double Flight Cage 64x21 - Presented by Presented by My Bird Cage
The double flight and the double macaw are both 64" long which is more important than the height. The depth is shorter for the flight, but as long as it is that long, it is a very good option. My friend has one for her two conures and it definitely is big. I'm thinking about getting one for Harper and Beau.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.