• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I knew it was dumb when I did it..

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
...and I did it anyway.

Ok, so if you don't know anything about baby ducks, know this: They attach themselves to who they see first. Awe! That's so cute, right? No. No it's not.

First duckling hatched a day earlier than the rest. She was in the incubator knocking eggs around and making a fuss so I took her out. No siblings to get attached to yet and I'm the first live thing she sees. I tried to put her in the brooder by herself. You can only listen to a baby cry for but so long before you pick it up. I started carrying her around in my pocket thinking "its ok. When more hatch i will put her in with them and she'll be fine"

...Nope. She's not fine. She's terrified of her siblings. You can hear her distress call loud and clear from the garage through TWO closed doors and waking everyone. So now I'm laying here (was) trying to sleep with a duck nibbling on my face. ...But she's not crying...

Just leave them in the incubator until they have siblings. I don't care if they are break dancing in there. DON'T OPEN THE INCUBATOR TOO SOON!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
This kinda happen with my last lot of chicks.
Cicada hatch 24hr before any of the others. I did take him out of the incubator and put him in a brooder, to help stop the crying I held him sometimes and I gave him a teddy he could cuddle up too. Thankfully he was fine when the other joined him, we left the teddy in there for a few more weeks.
I definitely know what you mean about the crying as I'm writing this two of the chicks are crying even though there's four of them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh how sweet, but I think it is important to teach her other duckies are okay. Can you try having some out time in a play pen for example with all of them? I hatched my two ducks as well, there was a day between them and in the meantime I was with the first one all the time, but when the other one hatched I let them meet (after he dried up of course) and that went fine. I did spend like, 20 hours a day with them, including sleeping next to them, but thankfully they are social with other ducks as well. These days I would not choose hatching again to ensure they know they are ducks, not humans, but for my two it worked out. They can come chill on the couch but also entertain themselves wonderfully together.

Would love to see pictures! I always loved ducks, but after having my two, I completely and hopelessely fell in love:roflmao: Would love to hear how this one develops further:) maybe some play time with a gentle adult duck might do some good if her siblings don't accept her.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Would love to see pictures! I always loved ducks, but after having my two, I completely and hopelessely fell in love:roflmao: Would love to hear how this one develops further:) maybe some play time with a gentle adult duck might do some good if her siblings don't accept her.
20200807_094219.jpg
20200807_094205.jpg

I breed Anconas and these are my last hatch for this year. This one is too heavily marked, so because it is female it will be available as a pet quality bird to a new home if I can get her to go back with her siblings. No luck on that so far. Maybe if I set up a smaller brooder and gave her just a few sibs to get used to it wouldn't be so overwhelming? I don't like large groups myself lol.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
  • Haha
Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok ok @IRNluv just send me your address and I´ll come over and take over duckie snuggling duties :D :lol:

FRT, those ducklings are just so precious!!! How adorable!!! Soooo fluffy! :faint:

@fashionfobie !

Would love to see pictures!
That reminds me, when will you post about Myn and Pippin next?? I love seeing those two! :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I hatched a single gosling before. It was an egg I saved from a lawnmower. The little gosling at first followed me around but when I found another goose family with similar aged goslings I placed him there and walked away. At first he wanted to follow me, but as he started peeping the mother goose rushed to him and encouraged him to join her. She was hissing at me. The little guy looked at me than looked towards the other geese, he seemed torn. Then the other little goslings surrounded him and all started greetings him. He decided to follow the other geese.

Ducklings are pretty shy creatures. There is a good chance as your little one grows more comfort will be found with other ducks. Pretty cool to have ducklings that want to be with you. Enjoy these quick few weeks as they grow. It seems insanely fast!

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I hatched a single gosling before. It was an egg I saved from a lawnmower. The little gosling at first followed me around but when I found another goose family with similar aged goslings I placed him there and walked away. At first he wanted to follow me, but as he started peeping the mother goose rushed to him and encouraged him to join her. She was hissing at me. The little guy looked at me than looked towards the other geese, he seemed torn. Then the other little goslings surrounded him and all started greetings him. He decided to follow the other geese.

Ducklings are pretty shy creatures. There is a good chance as your little one grows more comfort will be found with other ducks. Pretty cool to have ducklings that want to be with you. Enjoy these quick few weeks as they grow. It seems insanely fast!
These 3 will go to a family who want them as backyard pets once they feather out. They will be rather social by then. This breed tends to remain pretty friendly in adulthood when raised close to people. My parent flock are also pretty tame but they are not so good with babies. We hatch 170 this year. Thank goodness the season is done! Lol this was the last hatch for this year.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
These 3 will go to a family who want them as backyard pets once they feather out. They will be rather social by then. This breed tends to remain pretty friendly in adulthood when raised close to people. My parent flock are also pretty tame but they are not so good with babies. We hatch 170 this year. Thank goodness the season is done! Lol this was the last hatch for this year.
That is a lot of babies!

Folsom

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi @IRNluv I have a question is there any danger or precautions you need to take if you have both ducks and parrots? I keep ducks, they are all outside (bring the eggs in to the kitchen to eat) and I plan on getting a bird in the next few months. Parrot would be indoors but is there any disease that could endanger the parrot from the ducks or visa versa? Sorry if this is stupid or obvious.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hi @IRNluv I have a question is there any danger or precautions you need to take if you have both ducks and parrots? I keep ducks, they are all outside (bring the eggs in to the kitchen to eat) and I plan on getting a bird in the next few months. Parrot would be indoors but is there any disease that could endanger the parrot from the ducks or visa versa? Sorry if this is stupid or obvious.
It is a very reasonable question and nothing to feel bad about :)

You shouldn't have any issues as long as you wash your hands between. I am factitious about hand washing. I keep ducks and chickens outside and have parrots inside. It is also important to wash your hands between petting a cat/dog before handling a parrot.

Another tip is to keep soiled shoes from the duck area out of reach of the parrots. I keep my outside bird shoes near my back steps in a room my parrots can't access.

If you take these precautions there shouldn't be issues. Ducks generally are pretty robust birds and have a hard time getting parasites, which is related to how their digestion works. The biggest risk between parrots and ducks (and humans for that matter) is salmonella. So wash wash wash! :)