• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I just want my bird to like me!!

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I really need some advice and help!
I have two birds a budgies (boo) who's about 4 and a lovebird (peachy) who is just turning 2. During this quarantine they have been spoiled so much, they got a new cage, toys and they come out of the cage so much. But lately I just can't get peachy to trust me or even want to hang out or play with us.
I think it is because we were never able to get her out of the cage so we did something that we definitely regret witch is grabbing (gently) as that was the only way to get her out of the cage, but now I am trying a no force method with both birds and they wont do anything.

Boo is quite tame and will step up without me having to force her and also can target but every time I take her out of the cage all she wants to do is fly straight back, sit on the top of her cage and refuse to come off.

I see people who's birds just sit on them happily, want to spend time with their owners all the time, have a bond and that's what want I with my birds.

Any advice would be so helpful because I am typing this with my last hope that someone can help me because I am getting so frustrated that I just don't know if i can handle it anymore.

Thanks,
Charlotte

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

What is away from the cage that is as appealing, safe, fun and comforting as the cage? If there is nothing but you and you are not yet viewed as a moving play stand then they will always gravitate back to where everything they want is.

@Monica has great tips on training.

Do you have a fun, inviting play stand/area for your birds away from the cage?

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi!
Thank you for this advice i will go and check out @Monica very soon.

Yes I do have a smaller stand but they really like to be up high so when I do place them on this stand they just fly back. I want to be able to interact with them even if their cage is in view without them always flying away from where I place them. I also can't even get my lovebird out of the cage in the first place and my budgie doesn't like to be playing with me by herself.

Do you think there is anything else I can do?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It sounds like they aren't comfortable away from their cage and forcing them away from their cage is only making them more dependent upon their cages. Leaving their cages needs to be by their choice.

You might try feeding millet through the cage bars so they have the option to come to you. If you are up for the challenge, work on target training through the cage bars and teaching them to target to any location within the cage. Then you can try some target training through the open cage doors and around the outside of the cage.

To make the stand more enticing, place it next to the cages with water, food and treats. Allow them to choose to go to the stand on their own rather than forcing. It will take time, but as their confidence builds, so too will their comfort at leaving their cages.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Thanks for that advice i'll definitely be trying that!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Char.bird Sounds like you haven't had these birds very long and that you started out wrong with them. A bird needs to be able to make decisions on their own and it is up to you to be PATIENT -VERY PATIENT - and wait until they decide you are not going to eat them.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Thank you for this advice and I do agree I need to be a lot more patient and I did start out wrong with!
But hopefully we can get back on track soon

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Hi!
Thank you for this advice i will go and check out @Monica very soon.

Yes I do have a smaller stand but they really like to be up high so when I do place them on this stand they just fly back. I want to be able to interact with them even if their cage is in view without them always flying away from where I place them. I also can't even get my lovebird out of the cage in the first place and my budgie doesn't like to be playing with me by herself.

Do you think there is anything else I can do?
Hello there and welcome. I have had my GCC about 6 weeks and he doesn't like leaving the top of the cage much yet either. I have found that when I hold a toy in my hand he will step up on my finger and sit there and play with me. So you could try that. Millet works great too!

Pris

Meeting neighbors
I am on the same boat as you. I have a sad baby lovebird who doesn't like me either. Know that you're not alone in your frustrations.

We both have to be patient with our little buddies and refrain from forcing them to do things just because WE want to play.

I read this other post where this person was saying that convincing a bird to like you is the same as convincing a strange/scared person to like you. With that in mind, I am being more empathetic of my bird's feelings.

Slowly and with patience they may come around....... I hope! :cry3: