• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I just plucked my first blood feather! Will my birdies be okay now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I've only had my budgies for a month and I came home from work and there was a little blood on my bird's tailfeathers. I couldn't catch my bird so my best friend caught him and I plucked the feather. The feather had blood and clear stuff coming out of it and he seemed like he stopped bleeding. Was this the right one. He seemed like he stopped bleeding. Did I do it right? I sure hope I did. Ive only had them for a month. Thanks :omg:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Erin normally if the bleeding stops on its own you dont need to pull the feather. Does he seem ok now? No more bleeding?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I didn't see any more blood... He's playing on his swing now. I hope I did the right thing. Thank you guys!:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
If the bleeding doesn't stop and you have to pluck it, it helps to have cornstarch and cayenne on hand. They both help stop bleeding and the cayenne also has antibacterial properties.

Your budgie should be fine as long as you can tell there's no bleeding anymore :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You did good Erin, you are braver than me! Make sure you watch John's video, there is some good information on there. :)

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Thank you guys so much! Yeah I watched John's video. That is pretty much what I did, except I used tweezers and I'm not sure I waited a whole minute, but I did not see any more blood and he seems fine now. The blood feather was up in his tail feathers so it is kind of hard to tell, but if I didn't see any fresh blood coming out of him after I plucked it. Does that mean he's all good now. I've been looking in on him every few seconds to make sure there isn't any bleeding.... Thanks for your support guys! I really could not do it without you. I am just a 20 year old college student who wanted a pet to love and I found out that these little budgies are very complicated creatures lol.....but I love them very much...I called my avian vet and talked to her. She says she thinks it's okay, so hopefully little Gee is all good. Thanks everyone!:heart:

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I hate pulling blood feathers! I once had a baby snow goose and she had developed angel wing. Unfortunately it was genetic because her parents weren't exactly healthy. Because of the angel wing, and being that she was so sensitive, she would pluck and mutilate her pinfeathers, very badly, to the point that I'd find her bleeding and caked in blood in the morning. I had to pull many large feathers and she'd seem so upset afterwards. Luckily I corrected the angel wing and she stopped mutilating. I don't trust blood feathers to heal after they've been injured (if bumped, the blood begins to flow again), so I'd say you did the right thing. Good luck with your budgies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Ditto to what Vancha said- in my experience, once a blood feather is damaged enough to bleed in the first place so that I notice, it's got to come out. I'm glad your little bub is doing well and that you were prepared and handled the situation well. It's a scary situation, but now that you've dealt with it once, you won't be fazed if it comes up again in the future!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Good Job!
It is very important to remember to remain calm...You also might want to find a small pair of needle nose plyers...you can get a better grip on the feahter shaft...and a first aid kit is ALWAYS good to have on hand!!!!:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Just a quick couple of questions. Was this a broken blood feather? If not, there is no need to pull a developing blood feather, that is not damaged or broken.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
good on ya!!!!

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Just a quick couple of questions. Was this a broken blood feather? If not, there is no need to pull a developing blood feather, that is not damaged or broken.
Yeah it was broken. I came home from work and noticed a little blood on his tail and he was acting really tired. My friend picked him up for me and we examined him and he had a broken blood feather up in his tailfeathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.