• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I just noticed my Hahn's has been losing his down feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
My 4 month old Hahns, Sheldon, I've just noticed has been recently losing down feathers. Not a huge amount, but I'm still a little concerned. Does anyone know if this is normal, or should I be concerned? I'm taking him in Monday just for a checkup, but I still wanted to figure out if it's a normal thing.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Christy, in my experience, my Hahn's molted rather slowly in his first year, and I never noticed a significant accumulation of down or feathers--just one or two here and there--over the course of several months, and so if that's what you're seeing, I'd regard it as normal. Have you noticed him chewing on his down at all? I have a macaw that chews and plucks her down, and I always find a small pile of it under her perch :(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Hi Christy My Hahns also molted rather slowly over the 1st year. Some times it would be quite a few feathers at a time and then pretty much a few here and there. They do lose little fluffy down feathers on pretty much a daily basis.

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
Oh good! Thanks for the replies. I'm a freak when it comes to my birds, so I think every little thing is bad. I'm pretty paranoid about their health. The last time I dealt with such a young bird was at the age of 8, so I don't remember much of it. Haha. He's not chewing on them, so I think it might be just a slow molt.

Status
Not open for further replies.