• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Just Adopted a 30 year old Congo African Grey.

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
This post is slightly delayed but I am happy to announce that Lilah is the newest member of my little flock. She's a 30 years old CAG and quite the character. I adopted her through the Greater Chicago Bird Rescue in Villa Park, IL about 3 weeks ago. She fits in so well and I am looking forward to give her as much love and attention as I can. Unfortunately I am not experienced with having an older bird and I would love to get some tips.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here! Congratulations on adopting Lilah! :) She's beautiful. Thanks for giving her a soft place to land. Is there any thing specifically that you are worried or concerned about with adopting an older bird?

Generally speaking it can be hard to age a bird unless you having a decent history on them, with rescues that can be hard to come by sometimes. I'd say 30, well certainly not young, isn't terribly old for a Grey. :) But sometimes rescues have been through alot and the stress and hardships they have endured can prematurely age them. Does Lilah have any current health problems you are concerned about?

I loss my rescued moluccan this year. He had a pretty sketchy background but he was estimated to be a senior when he was found and when he passed we thought he was around 75. So I do know a little bit about owning older birds. What I can tell you about adopting an older bird is their personalities tend to be more settled and predictable. It's also not impossible to change bad habits or behavior problems if there is any. It may take some time. And all birds are individuals so that factor in too. But you can certainly create a good relationship with a strong bond with an older bird. :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here! Congratulations on adopting Lilah! :) She's beautiful. Thanks for giving her a soft place to land. Is there any thing specifically that you are worried or concerned about with adopting an older bird?

Generally speaking it can be hard to age a bird unless you having a decent history on them, with rescues that can be hard to come by sometimes. I'd say 30, well certainly not young, isn't terribly old for a Grey. :) But sometimes rescues have been through alot and the stress and hardships they have endured can prematurely age them. Does Lilah have any current health problems you are concerned about?

I loss my rescued moluccan this year. He had a pretty sketchy background but he was estimated to be a senior when he was found and when he passed we thought he was around 75. So I do know a little bit about owning older birds. What I can tell you about adopting an older bird is their personalities tend to be more settled and predictable. It's also not impossible to change bad habits or behavior problems if there is any. It may take some time. And all birds are individuals so that factor in too. But you can certainly create a good relationship with a strong bond with an older bird. :D

Thank You! I was mostly going to ask about additional vitamins or supplements she may need. We don’t know for sure if she is 30 but she estimated to be around that age. She currently doesn’t have any health issues. The adoption group had her checked out before I adopted her and she got a clean bill of health.

The only think I have noticed is a small sore patch on the bottom of her left foot. It wouldn’t bother me as much if she wasn’t picking at it.

You’re right about the settled personality. She definitely has her own way of doing things; :) but, I’ve used it to my benefit.. After getting to know her better , I had a better idea of how she would react in certain situations. We bonded super quickly, she steps up very well and loves to sit with me and walk around the house. The only thing she doesn’t let me do is pet her. She makes the motion of wanting pets (lowering her head and pushing it against my hand) but the second I go to give her scritches she pins her eyes and gets nippy. I have a feeling she wants to be cuddly but is not quite there yet. Plus, Greys really aren’t known for their cuddly personality. :p

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Congratulations she is a beauty:hug8:Thank you for taking her in! Unless you notice anything different with the way she moves(arthritis) or if her breathing seems labored or appetite is not what it was then I would just treat her like you would a younger bird.Most of My greys are in their 20s and My amazon is in his thirty's and they are all acting like they did 10 years ago!

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
Congratulations she is a beauty:hug8:Thank you for taking her in! Unless you notice anything different with the way she moves(arthritis) or if her breathing seems labored or appetite is not what it was then I would just treat her like you would a younger bird.Most of My greys are in their 20s and My amazon is in his thirty's and they are all acting like they did 10 years ago!
I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary. She seems pretty happy, eats A LOT :D. The only thing she has going on is a small sore on the bottom of one of her feet.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations on your new grey fluff ball! Sounds like your relationship is moving along nicely!
Some birds, including greys, don't like to be patted. Especially if they see this hand coming down towards the back of their head. You might see if she'll let you scratch her head through the bars of her cage to start with.
For now, continue letting her perch on you. That's huge actually! If that's all she'll ever allow you to do, then consider yourself very blessed.

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
Congratulations on your new grey fluff ball! Sounds like your relationship is moving along nicely!
Some birds, including greys, don't like to be patted. Especially if they see this hand coming down towards the back of their head. You might see if she'll let you scratch her head through the bars of her cage to start with.
For now, continue letting her perch on you. That's huge actually! If that's all she'll ever allow you to do, then consider yourself very blessed.

Yeah! Thank you! I feel like our relationship has grown so much over the past couple of weeks. I’m going to see if petting her through the bars of her cage will help. I’m not too worried about it though, her comfort is my top priority. :heart:

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow!! I don’t have any advice to offer, just wanted to say congratulations & thank you for giving this beauty a home. I think African Greys are just amazing. :)

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
Wow!! I don’t have any advice to offer, just wanted to say congratulations & thank you for giving this beauty a home. I think African Greys are just amazing. :)
Thank You so much! She is absolutely amazing. Honestly this is my first medium - large bird and I am so happy that she is my first! She is so patient and everyday she surprises me will small little gestures of friendship. She actually had 3 owners before me, so it’s always interesting to hear some of the weird noises and words she’s picked up over the years. :lol:

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan

Thank You! I was mostly going to ask about additional vitamins or supplements she may need. We don’t know for sure if she is 30 but she estimated to be around that age. She currently doesn’t have any health issues. The adoption group had her checked out before I adopted her and she got a clean bill of health.

The only think I have noticed is a small sore patch on the bottom of her left foot. It wouldn’t bother me as much if she wasn’t picking at it.

You’re right about the settled personality. She definitely has her own way of doing things; :) but, I’ve used it to my benefit.. After getting to know her better , I had a better idea of how she would react in certain situations. We bonded super quickly, she steps up very well and loves to sit with me and walk around the house. The only thing she doesn’t let me do is pet her. She makes the motion of wanting pets (lowering her head and pushing it against my hand) but the second I go to give her scritches she pins her eyes and gets nippy. I have a feeling she wants to be cuddly but is not quite there yet. Plus, Greys really aren’t known for their cuddly personality. :p
One other thing, I noticed she had a couple of plucked spots when I first adopted her. Is there anything I should look out for? I know if there’s something weird going in is a particular area they might pick at it. With Lilah, she has one on her neck and two on smaller ones. One on each of her sides.

It might just be stress related, but do you think I should get a general checkup done just in case? @Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It might just be stress related, but do you think I should get a general checkup done just in case?
Yes a general checkup is a great idea! :) Its possible it's just behavioral but its always a good idea to rule out anything physical first. Plus I'm a strong believer that doing an annual checkup and establishing a relationship with your vet is much better than trying to find a vet in an emergency :)

Meggie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Megan
Yes a general checkup is a great idea! :) Its possible it's just behavioral but its always a good idea to rule out anything physical first. Plus I'm a strong believer that doing an annual checkup and establishing a relationship with your vet is much better than trying to find a vet in an emergency :)
Thanks for the advice! I have an avian vet that I take the other two kids to. I’m going to setup an appointment.