• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I heard cuttlebone is not good for conures

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
I didn’t know you were not supposed to give your bird cuttlebone. I been giving him that for over a year can someone help me on that ?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is not that it is particularly harmful, it is more that it provides very little calcium that the bird's body is able to use. Relying on it as a source of calcium is a false sense of security. You are much better off providing pellets or fresh fruits and vegetables if your bird will eat them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's just really not a good source of calcium. The body doesn't absorb it well, so it's mostly wasted. If your bird is on a proper diet (pellets, veggies, etc) then it likely doesn't need the additional calcium. If you're bird is on a seed only diet, then calcium is only one nutrient that they will need supplemented, and other forms would be more beneficial.

So cuttlebone isn't exactly bad. It's just not really doing anything health wise besides giving them something to destroy :)

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
It is not that it is particularly harmful, it is more that it provides very little calcium that the bird's body is able to use. Relying on it as a source of calcium is a false sense of security. You are much better off providing pellets or fresh fruits and vegetables if your bird will eat them.
Oh got it thank you so much I was worried it was bad got him . He is on a pellet diet and fruits .

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
It's just really not a good source of calcium. The body doesn't absorb it well, so it's mostly wasted. If your bird is on a proper diet (pellets, veggies, etc) then it likely doesn't need the additional calcium. If you're bird is on a seed only diet, then calcium is only one nutrient that they will need supplemented, and other forms would be more beneficial.

So cuttlebone isn't exactly bad. It's just not really doing anything health wise besides giving them something to destroy :)

Got it thanks a lot :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't know how well a bird can absorb the calcium from cuttlebone, but it does at least provide a cheap chewing "toy".

I hardly ever give my birds cuttlebone though.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I don't know how well a bird can absorb the calcium from cuttlebone, but it does at least provide a cheap chewing "toy".

I hardly ever give my birds cuttlebone though.
yeah I like him using it cause he file his beak there