• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have too many animals (Sad Update post #80)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Didn't realise it was those chickens! I would definitely incubate those extra eggs! I still don't think the cracked one would hatch though :shrug:

I leave the egg colour to the chickens. Each hen could have a different colour.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Trick is storing correctly. Optimal 7 to 10 days but some have stored them 2 weeks.
The problem is that chickens take three weeks to hatch and fertile eggs will only store for a week, maybe two. So the extra eggs won't last long enough to be incubated in the same incubator, unless someone accidentally drops an egg while candling it or something during the first week.

I've hatched eggs in a homemade incubator before, for similar reasons. I had a small incubator and ended up with too many bonus eggs. I was hand turning eggs warmed by an incandescent lightbulb, with a wet rock in the middle for humidity and temperature regulation. The hatch rate from my fancy auto-regulated incubator was almost identical to my homemade contraption.

The fancy incubator was much less work, though.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Right now, we're talking to the current owner of a Belgian Draft Horse, he's lovely and they call him Big Ben lol. He's 18 hands high and 14 years old. I'm not sure which style, I believe my husband is accustomed to Western but it's whatever will work better for jousting. He grew up on a thoroughbred horse farm, so he actually knows what is going on. Whereas I grew up in the city, so I am just googling for dear life
Sounds wonderful!

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
I thought the eggs could be stored longer. I'll set up a second brooder soon! The cracked egg was pretty bad, it didn't look bad on the outside but when I candled it, it was a huge crack. I already tossed it before I read that I could possibly save it. :(

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Will they have free range or use a chicken tractor?
The plan is to let them wander around as much as they like, but if it turns out to be problematic we'll get a chicken tractor. Our neighbors have these really cool ones on wheels with remote controls, so we'll probably get something similar if need be.

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Haven't heard back from Big Ben's owners so it looks like he's out of the running. But we found this gorgeous 16.2 hh former race horse, her name is Red and I am already in love with her. So, fingers crossed!
Red.jpg

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Rare eggs/chicks so sense to waste any.

This site shows pinkish tan eggs. Lists pinkish tan eggs. The eggs in the brooder look like regular white eggs. Some sites say cream to tan to pinkish eggs.

View attachment 371269
In person they are definitely pinkish tan, I put a filter on the image so it made them look more white. I'll take a better picture when I candle them.

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Haven't heard back from Big Ben's owners so it looks like he's out of the running. But we found this gorgeous 16.2 hh former race horse, her name is Red and I am already in love with her. So, fingers crossed!
View attachment 371407
She's gorgeous! OTTB?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
View attachment 371440
This is what I see whenever I think of a peahen. I love this painting. :lol:
And that painting reminds me of Turkey, my less than elegant double-breasted bronze turkey.

114.JPG

She liked to photo-bomb when I tried to take pictures of the "lesser" birds. Hard to resist her unique charms.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Love horses but much harder to care for then chickens I imagine.
We had a few horses living on our land in Australia for years. They took care of themselves.
Then they sort of got out & roamed the road & were last seen on a neighbors land.

I was not happy about it & the smug neighbor knows they were not our horses but escaped from a deceased persons land but he;s OK being a horse thief & keeping them on his land.

Not sure of ownership but they ate our grass & drank water out of our dams for 5 years.

I was blessed 3 years ago that they honored me with a close visit to the house one day I was on the farm. I took some photos.

Love the light colored one.
horse P1180441.jpg horse P427 red.jpg

horse P1180440 Red.jpg

My dream place never realized. Was only there for a few days.

I think they were all 5 or least 4 females & never had a pony until 2 years ago I heard one of them had one.

Congrats on having your little paradise although I imagine with all of them animals there is lots of work to be done.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
View attachment 371407
Is it just the angle of the photo... or is the Right front hoof a little elongated? The leg angle a little different.... probably just me...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it just the angle of the photo... or is the Right front hoof a little elongated? The leg angle a little different.... probably just me...
Hooves definitely look a bit long to me. You'l need to get her seen by a farrier. It can take a while to reshape hooves and get back to a better hoof angle.

She looks like she has a nice shoulder angle and I really like her deep chest. Neck looks a bit thin and undermuscled, but you can build muscle. It's not a great angle for assessing confirmation but her back does look rather long so I'd want to check that out. Do ask for a side-on photo with all four feet standing square, and without a saddle.

I'm sure you know this already, but if you are serious about buying her, make sure you get her checked out by your vet before purchasing her. It must be your vet who will give you an honest report, not her current owner's vet. If she's an OTTB she'll be registered and you can find out her pedigree, where she raced and whether she has any winnings.

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
UPDATE: We have 3 chickens. One of which hatched in my shirt! We lost power for 2 days this week (we're in Texas) and due to this, I had to keep the chicks on me for warmth. Kip unfortunately, did not survive the cold. We tried everything we could think of to keep him warm but at just 8 weeks old, his poor little body couldn't take it. I'm devastated and don't plan to get another parrot any time soon.