• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have too many animals (Sad Update post #80)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I have a large enclosed run, but like the chickens to free range in my fenced in 1/2 acre. However, there are also nice thermals over my yard for hawks to ride and I don’t let the chickens free range unsupervised...the quickest way to get everyone back in the enclosed run with no fuss is to shake a bag of dried mealworms!
Same. Except our yard isn't fenced and once we lost a hen to a fox.
Speaking of food incentives...@hilarys since you are hatching babies, I’ve found that the easiest way to socialize/tame and gain a chick’s undying affection is to feed them some scrambled egg (no milk or water added, just beat the egg and scramble) from your hand:)
Also, it is soooo much fun
Agreed! Some are against feeding egg but mine love it.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Agreed! Some are against feeding egg but mine love it.
I don't see anything wrong with feeding eggs... Small amounts are good for them, and I've known hens who would eat their own :meh:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Check into the SPECIFICS of your town-- our small town does not allow ROOSTERS because of the noise... but females???
Our old home was in an area that only allowed chickens in areas zoned for farming. We were in a residential zone. In my new area, we are allowed hens but no roosters. BUT now I'm in a condo so I'll just have to settle with my crazy budgies.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I guess since chickens hatch from eggs it could be thought of as cannibalism. But the eggs aren't fertilized... so it can't be. :shrug: And yeah eggs are good for calcium and protein :tup:
Too be fair, lots of wild animals engage in cannibalism! Primates included :O I've heard of issues in industrial farming with feeding animals meat too but that's clearly not what you're doing.

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
We expect lots of photos!

Can;t wait to see them hatch.

:bliss: :loveshower: :cheer:
We got 15, one was cracked. So, we have 12 in the incubator and 2 keeping cool in the garage as backups.

20210125_151516.jpg

What kind of horse do you have ur eyes on? Are you getting to it to ride it? If so english or western? (Sorry for the questions I’m and equestrian and it’s very exciting)
Right now, we're talking to the current owner of a Belgian Draft Horse, he's lovely and they call him Big Ben lol. He's 18 hands high and 14 years old. I'm not sure which style, I believe my husband is accustomed to Western but it's whatever will work better for jousting. He grew up on a thoroughbred horse farm, so he actually knows what is going on. Whereas I grew up in the city, so I am just googling for dear life!

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Looks like the plans have changed, instead of alpacas to deal with the coyotes we're getting a donkey this coming Sunday! We plan to name him Shrek, if only because I think it would exasperate young children lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Check into the SPECIFICS of your town-- our small town does not allow ROOSTERS because of the noise... but females???
My city you have to get special permission from the city and they have to be so many feet from your neighbors or they won't approve it. I'm only in a city of 10k right in the middle of farm country lol

Farfah

Walking the driveway
My city you have to get special permission from the city and they have to be so many feet from your neighbors or they won't approve it. I'm only in a city of 10k right in the middle of farm country lol
My dream is to move into a neighbourhood where everyone already has chickens. And we'd have just the loudest chicken block parties lol

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What did you do with the cracked egg? If it was a small crack not leaking it might be fixed.
You might be able to save the cracked egg if its not been too long with wax.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We got 15, one was cracked. So, we have 12 in the incubator and 2 keeping cool in the garage as backups.

View attachment 371216
What did you do with the cracked egg? If it was a small crack not leaking it might be fixed.

I'd use white or light wax just in case you want to candle.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny

I'd use white or light wax just in case you want to candle.
Since the incubator can only hold 12 eggs and they received 15 eggs, I wouldn't bother trying the salvage a cracked egg. You can't incubate them all.

Although, with eggs like those, I would be tempted to setup a second incubator for the extras. The hatch rate of stored eggs goes down considerable over time, so any "backup" eggs will be unlikely to hatch after a week or two, even if they are stored in a cool dry place.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Since the incubator can only hold 12 eggs and they received 15 eggs, I wouldn't bother trying the salvage a cracked egg. You can't incubate them all.

Although, with eggs like those, I would be tempted to setup a second incubator for the extras. The hatch rate of stored eggs goes down considerable over time, so any "backup" eggs will be unlikely to hatch after a week or two, even if they are stored in a cool dry place.
Yeah, I agree. If those extra eggs don't go in an incubator I don't think they'll hatch.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Trick is storing correctly. Optimal 7 to 10 days but some have stored them 2 weeks.

Could also try to do a homemade brooder if you did not want to invest in another brooder.

All the eggs should have a chance to hatch.

Good Luck

Interesting read on the why's such as turning.

Cheap incubator for the last eggs. One of those eggs is likely a female & the 12 you have could have 6 roosters so an extra female is good.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rare eggs/chicks so sense to waste any.

This site shows pinkish tan eggs. Lists pinkish tan eggs. The eggs in the brooder look like regular white eggs. Some sites say cream to tan to pinkish eggs.

1611714599581.png

These eggs hatching black looks relatively white so maybe the eggs can be white too.

Nice how they hatch fully feathered. 21 days to wait now!