• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have too many animals (Sad Update post #80)

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
The title says it all, lol. I have 4 parrots, 5 dogs, 7 cats (and 7 others living with us...), 2 rats, 5 fish and a snail. Next week we're getting chickens! Hopefully a horse and alpacas soon after. Oh and bees, we're getting bees in March. Just bought 2 acres back in October and we are looking to use every square inch!

Before they went out of business, we used a service to draw the pets so here's a partial view of our menagerie.

familyportrait-01.jpg

Attachments

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Have you considered getting a peacock?

They are pretty awesome. Your neighbors will love you (but not really).

Resized_20190627_143814_8321.jpeg

Yes, this is me helping. :D

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Very true. Peahens have an understated elegance. Peacocks are all glamor and showiness.

20190825_091758.jpg

And in the springtime, their mating calls can be heard for miles ...

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Next week we're getting chickens!
What kind of chickens will you be getting? Will you be getting day old chicks or older? I've had chickens for a long time and highly recommend them. Chickens are a lot of fun.

I live on five acres and have a similar philosophy toward animals. It is not too many, so long as I can afford the vet bills. ;)

Over the years, I have kept all sorts, including but not limited to alpacas, goats, ducks, geese, quail, turkeys, guinea hens, peafowl, and chukar partridges.

Last edited:

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Adorable! Now there is one question you must ask yourself. Is there really such thing as too many animals? :lol:
Haha, so far it seems like there isn't!

Have you considered getting a peacock?

They are pretty awesome. Your neighbors will love you (but not really).

Yes, this is me helping. :D
Yes! I actually really want one, it's definitely on the list of animals to acquire eventually.

What kind of chickens will you be getting? Will you be getting day old chicks or older? I've had chickens for a long time and highly recommend them. Chickens are a lot of fun.

I live on five acres and have a similar philosophy toward animals. It is not too many, so long as I can afford the vet bills. ;)

Over the years, I have kept all sorts, including but not limited to alpacas, goats, ducks, geese, quail, turkeys, guinea hens, peafowl, and chukar partridges.
We're getting Ayam Cemanis. We're getting a dozen fertilized eggs, I'm so excited! Agree with you on vet bills, most of ours have insurance thankfully because our golden retriever just cost us 5k because he swallowed a cat toy! Fortunately, we got most of it back.

I want alpacas, but I think we're going to end up with a donkey instead. Either way we need something to help with the coyotes, they've been getting too close for comfort.

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
Yeah chickens are awesome. Do you know what breed you’re getting?
I have Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. Also a spangled Hamburg hen and a “mutt” chicken.
We're getting Ayam Cemanis, aka goth chickens lol. Yours are so cute!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oh neat! Ayam Cemanis are wicked cool-looking. And crazy expensive!

I hope your chicks all hatch healthy and strong. We don't have any black on black chickens, but we do have an eclectic mix of egg-layers, from Americana to Black Copper Marans, so our egg basket looks like Easter every day - blue, green, olive, brown, and white. Lots of fun. You never know what to expect.

IMG_2537.JPG