• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have to ask....

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

So, both of you just told me my friend doesn't know what she's talking about...
There are subpsecies in every single species, or most, of parrots. You said yourself, that your friend only notices this coloration in larger macaws, well there is a subspecies of greenwing that makes them smaller to the size of a blue and gold (1200grams) and then there are ones that are 1500grams+.

Most people dont even know that there is about 6 subspecies of the military macaw, or three of the scarlet, or blue and golds, etc. Most people even thought the noble macaw was the same as a hahns macaw.

Im not saying your friend is wrong, I just now saw your posts but all Im saying is that its a possibility that Buka is a subspecies, and that that shouldnt be overlooked.

Buka also has one almost entirely green feather right in the middle of his head with a couple partially green ones right around it. It is hard to get a picture of because the red feathers cover it a bit but it would make it pretty easy to ID him as well :)

He may be a Brazilian Green wing. But I have no clue. I just know that the Brazilian Scarlet macaws have more green on their wings and a green nape.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Mercedez, bite your tongue! LOL Well a male hormonal GWM feeling threatened would be glad to bite it for you! LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl: :omg:
Oh I know I know I know. Which is why I say, I will never personally have a companion male macaw. And male hormonal green wings are scary. I admit that they can be intimidating.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

There are subpsecies in every single species, or most, of parrots. You said yourself, that your friend only notices this coloration in larger macaws, well there is a subspecies of greenwing that makes them smaller to the size of a blue and gold (1200grams) and then there are ones that are 1500grams+.

Most people dont even know that there is about 6 subspecies of the military macaw, or three of the scarlet, or blue and golds, etc. Most people even thought the noble macaw was the same as a hahns macaw.

I also said she said it was proven by DNA this is not the case. You cannot argue with DNA.
She has spoken with many GW breeders over the years about this very subject. All gw's she has seen with the scalloping were jumbos. She also said there are gw's that are bright red and also large. She's been breeding macaws for over 20 years. There are exceptions to every rule.:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also said she said it was proven by DNA this is not the case. You cannot argue with DNA.
She has spoken with many GW breeders over the years about this very subject. All gw's she has seen with the scalloping were jumbos. She also said there are gw's that are bright red and also large. She's been breeding macaws for over 20 years. There are exceptions to every rule.:hug8:
You're both right. The World Parrot Trust lists no officially recognized subspecies for the Greenwing macaw (it does list two for the Scarlet) Green-winged Macaw (Ara chloroptera) | Parrot Encyclopedia. BUT, some breeders do seem to feel that there are two subspecies: one for the really big GWs.

There are two subspecies of this species. One that is as large as a Hyacinth Macaw. --Joanna Abramson
Macaws As Companions - Part 1
So, a bird like Dana's male, at just over 1700 grams, would be one of these "jumbos."

Status
Not open for further replies.