• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have now seen this type of too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I actually find the Black Palms a little intimidating-looking. But I do love corvids!
The Palms are some of the most gentle birds you'll ever meet. Prices directly from a breeder aren't as bad as through a pet store either but you have to be careful about their linneage...ABRC Palms tend to have problems with PDD. I never got the hype behind them until I met some in person and they really are everything people say about them and more! I'd still rather have a Red Tailed Black but that's even more money...sigh...

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have videos of Tanya's BP2 Mystic on my You Tube, feel free to search them out tstuetzel's Channel - YouTube
Also the Vasa's are not black, I have some pics on here of my godbird Popeye and his sisters.
Here is one of him cuddling after his bath that his Mama sent me :heart:
Popeye July 2009 (21).jpg

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Black Palms are truly one of Nature's great avian wonders! With a majestic, otherwordly appearance and a fantastic personality to match, it's not difficult to see why they're on so many people's dream bird lists. Alas, for most of us mere mortals, but a dream they shall remain!

Oh yes I would love a pet crow if you didnt need a special license and what not to keep one. At a local bird store the owner rescued two baby crows that fell out of the nest and was weaning them out then giving them to a wilderness sanctuary type thing. I got to hold and pet them and they were SOO soft! Always had a very inquisitive look about them.
Native crow species are illegal to own, but not the foreign species. You can get an African Pied Crow. Although not possessing the completely black coloration everyone adores, they are through and through corvids and very beautiful birds. Keep in mind that corvids are not easy birds to own and perhaps require even more stimulation than parrots. They are ridiculously intelligent.

The Corvid Ranch Home

what kind of bird is this ???

Black Lory maybe?
Yep, looks like a Black Lory to me. The beak shape and coloring is lory all the way.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The Palms are some of the most gentle birds you'll ever meet. Prices directly from a breeder aren't as bad as through a pet store either but you have to be careful about their linneage...ABRC Palms tend to have problems with PDD. I never got the hype behind them until I met some in person and they really are everything people say about them and more! I'd still rather have a Red Tailed Black but that's even more money...sigh...
I'm in love with the red & yellow tailed black toos, I'd love to get a leucistic funereal too but that dream is REALLY crazy!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
if you do a google image search the pic of the black bird comes up and it says its a lesser vassa.and also this one Black Parrot (Coracopsis nigra) | Parrot Encyclopedia
Yeah, it comes up, however, google image searches are fraught with errors from mislabeled pics or simply faulty search results such as a word query being mentioned in a page where something related to the query is pictured, but not the actual query being retrieved by the user. As Jen mentioned, this bird has a dark beak and the beak shape is not a Vasa's. Moreover, plumage is more Black Lory than Vasa, but I could definitely be wrong... . http://forums.avianavenue.com/lorikeet-lane/24925-wow-black-lorys-3.html#post456949

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yeah, it comes up, however, google image searches are fraught with errors from mislabeled pics or simply faulty search results such as a word query being mentioned in a page where something related to the query is pictured, but not the actual query being retrieved by the user. As Jen mentioned, this bird has a dark beak and the beak shape is not a Vasa's. Moreover, plumage is more Black Lory than Vasa, but I could definitely be wrong... . http://forums.avianavenue.com/lorikeet-lane/24925-wow-black-lorys-3.html#post456949
I'm still going with black Lory...the beak is so Lory looking! LOL!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Euphoria's black bird is a black lory. No doubt in my mind. The little gray bird in the towel is a vasa. I'm not very good at identifying greater vs. lesser though.
Melissa

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The little gray bird in the towel is a vasa. I'm not very good at identifying greater vs. lesser though.
Melissa
Popeye is a male Greater Vasa :)and he just looks little in that picture.
Here are 2 others pics of him.
Popeye1.jpg Popeye.jpg

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They're amazing, and some of the most expensive birds in the United States avian pet trade. Fantastically lovely, though. Huge birds, stunning crests....the ones at Golden Cockatoo in FL are the only ones I've ever seen for sale. (Makes me wish I lived in FL and had $18,000.00)
Price has gone some...#13000 to $16,000

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
MY partner has 2 pairs of black palms and has one of their offspring as a pet...so I get to regularly interact with the palms...they are so awesome...3 of hers are imports and the sounds they make are unlike anything I've ever heard before..I could just sit and watch them for hours :heart:

Oh and price for males is down around $10K from a breeder now!

Status
Not open for further replies.