• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have dogs, but want my lb out

SoniaR

Checking out the neighborhood
This is my very first bird owning experience. I bought a hand tamed 9 week old lb, my 15 yr old son instantly fell in love with it and so I had to buy another one for myself...so I have siblings.
My sons bird is in his room with him always. I want my bird out with me but we have dogs. It seems like someone’s always crated or caged.
I bought a harness and flight suit and hope that will make it so my Skittles can always be with me.
I should add our German Shepherd can be trained to get along with the bird, but the small Bodach, half Boston terrier half dachshund is a whole different story.
I appreciate all advice

Attachments

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Baby gates can be useful barriers. You'll want to keep them separate for the safety of the birds.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Just correcting your dogs behavior and reward the dog for ignoring the bird

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, no, you should hold the birds in separate rooms from the dogs. Especially lovebirds. They’re way too brave and willing to take on much larger animals. This is what we do with ours. Bird rooms are separate from the main house where the dogs are. The birds are too small and delicate to risk.