• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have come to a realization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
For the last few weeks I have been wondering how old Chewy really is. The bird store said he was bout 1 yrs old when I got him,or 6 months depending on who you talked to, and my friend said by his coloring he was more like 4-5 yrs old. A couple of years ago.
Now I just realize I have a great relationship (which gets better everyday thanks to you guys) and a great bird. I don't need to care about how old he is, I just need to care about him and make sure he 's getting what he needs/deserves/desires.
Obviously I can't give him al he deserves like his freedom, if I did that he'd never survive :(
But I try my best and sometimes I really feel like my best ain't good enough. But I am treading ahead with him and my tiels because I love them. Sorry to go on and on.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Now I just realize I have a great relationship (which gets better everyday thanks to you guys) and a great bird. I don't need to care about how old he is, I just need to care about him and make sure he 's getting what he needs/deserves/desires.
QUOTE]

That is great! I am glad that you see it that way. Very good way to think of it :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he has you now and that is what he needs..your love...bless you

wolfysluv

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
rebecca stout
Oh wow, I totally get this. When I got Tika they said 11 months old. But her band said a year older than that. I really fretted over it, cause I wanted a "baby" so bad. The breeder gave me an explanation about why the band had 05 instead of 06. It made sense, but still. Anyway, It didn't bother me too much until I realized Tika was never going to be like some other goffins .. she's a bit more unpredictable and bitey compared to goffins when people get them as little babies. Then when seh mutilated, I reaaaaaaaaaaaally wondered. She was a big puff ball when I got her and then after a few months she looked like a normal goffin. Not sure how long they keep theri baby fluff. Is it one year or two? Anyone know? It would help me solve the mystery. So, as you just saw, I get the curiosity. How something, no matter how unimportant, can just nag at you to the point of obsessing. :) You are so lucky if you have come to peace with this, honestly.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
The lady who I got my cockatoo from told us he was younger than he really was. We looked at his band and it said 99 on it

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
Unfortunately, he has no, and had no, band ever. Unlesst hey took it off at the store....

Kimba

Do you have pics of chew when you first him? Was he dna sexed? Mature females have red iris's. But if he is a boy they would stay brown like the babies. This eye color changes does not happen till about 4 years of age. It can be earlier, but I've seen it take 4 years to change. Did you get paper work? Like the paper work for tests and polynomia vaccine? Removing the band....illegal and does make me question the validity or accuracy of the age they gave you.

FYI the numbers on bands are rarely an indication of a hatch date or year for that matter. Most it is just the number of the band in the sequence. Most breeders do not get new bands every year and such. Poes band...... FX 1122 Eves MAR 99, but Eve was hatched in feb of 2000. 9 times out of ten the numbers on the bands are meaningless and are nothing more than a way to chart the weights and such of the chicks.

Last edited:

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
He didn't get all that testign done till I got him. He was sick when I bought him (did not kmnow that) but he wasn't well. I should have seen that.
But the testing came out negative.
He is a dna'd male (did it again after I got him due to not totally trusting what they said)
He acts like a younge bird, he's playful and chews on stuff like there is no tomorrow. Esp clothing lol I wear a flannel over my new clothing .

wolfysluv

Real Name
rebecca stout
Omg, Kimba. I can't thank you enough for that info. Because, man, I've always thought to myself, "sheesh, did a pick a hoaky breeder ... i mean the band thing is weird, I don't get it". It's just alwaaaaaaaaaaaays bothered me. the breeder told me essentially what you did, just as it related to her. i didn't know know what to think and I didn't that its' common like that. I know, its so stupid (maybe Chewys mom can relate), but i really obsessed over it a while back and its nagged at me since.

Do rosebreasted (are galahs and rosebreasteds the same?) change physically (ther than the eyes in females) as they age?

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
yes I can relate, and Galahs and Rb2's are the same (as far as everything online.......says lol) Some say to watch for bumps around their eyes, it's not a bad thing from what I understand was on a forum where someone took theirs t the vet and they said that it's completely normal.......John or someone else will know more bout that then me though.

Kimba

Umbrellas, and rose breasted/galahs, goffins....(most if not all white too's) change eye color upon maturity. Brown to blue/black for umbie males, redish brown for female White Too's and rose breasted. Boy Rosebreasted stay brown. I make the distinction for Umbies because the male I took care of...had deep Blue eyes, they looked black until you saw them in bright light. I've never seen this blue in other Males white too's, but I have not seen enough of them to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.