• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a few very busy weeks..

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
My Indian ringneck and girlfriends parrotlet are never in their cage when we're home, as all birds should.
Now normally we try to have someone in the house at all times so they have the most amount of out time, now the up coming week or two we are both gone from 9-7, for 5 days a week.

They get out about an hour or two before bedtime.
I really don't want them to get bored or lonely or anything.
Though houses separately, their cages are next to each other. This seems to help with their playing as well. The parrotlet does not really play by herself, only when we play with her. My IRN also isn't too much into playing, he's more of a people watcher out of the window..

Will they be okay these 2 weeks?

I always leave a video on for them on their laptop and have a camera setup that allows me to see them and they hear me. (Although it seems to confuse them more than stimulate).

I've tried every type of toy and loading them up with treats (that helps until all the treats are gone, usually within minutes..)

When I watch them on the camera during the day, they don't really do much. IRN will walk around and look out the window, parrotlet will just go up and down for food.. so sad to watch :(

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
Try different things to make sure your bird gets the most enjoyment out of the toys in their cage. For example show them different bird safe material that they might wanna chew. I know my birds have an obsession with paper٫ so i make many homemade toys including it. Some birds just simply dont enjoy toys but you have to try a different selection to see what they like most and have that be in the cage. I dont think its the best idea leaving birds who enjoy people rather than toys alone for a couple weeks. Theres a specific toy i make that makes it harder to reach the treats inside (basically putting shredding paper and a treat in a toilet roll thing that you get when you reach the bottom٫ then wrapping it up to make it kind of look like candy٫ im bad at describing so i will attach a picture). Not sure how much this will help since you say you have tried everything but the point is I don't think that they should be left alone for so long. Hope this helps anyways ;)!

Attachments

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
The birds should be fine. Most of us still work full time and cannot be with our birds all day and the birds do fine.

I have had birds for 39 years and except for this last one, none of them really played with their toys, yet we’re at home alone during the day. Kept each other company through the cage bars, and were happy to see us when we got home.

It’s not forever, just a couple of days....

I’m sure others will soon put in their thoughts as well...all the best