• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a few questions

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
Last November I had to put down my African grey , her seizures because back and fourth, when reading the medical report the doctor written that one of the possibilities is atherosclerosis. I have been doing some research and For the first 3-4 years she was on sunflower diet Walmart food we then took her once for a vet check up and the doctor explained how sunflower seeds are bad we then incorporated pellets but the sunflowers seeds never went away and penut were her favorite treat but I have to confess she did eat a lot of peanuts and sweets.but the day before her getting admitted to the hospital she had a seizure but was normal after and then start lifting one of her foot we took her to a er vet and she started coughing the docter said she was congested and gave us antibiotics, if a bird has atherosclerosis can they also get infections and one vet said that she was blind in one eye could the bad seizures have caused blindness and is fatty liver related also they were weeks when we felt she had eaten to much sweet and her poop was kinda brown or when I look at old photos I see sum yellow where it should be white , but the blood work only showed the kidney values which was normal , her blood work also showed she was anemic how ever at the hospital we were under the impression that all her blood work was fine can atherosclerosis cause a bird to be anemic?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Priya12
Your bird did not have a chance.

Sunflower seeds are terribly fatty and are not nutritionally beneficial
Peanuts are deadly in three ways; 1. High saturated fat content that causes heart disease, atherosclerosis and fatty liver disease 2. Possible presence of Aspergillosis fungus 3. Possible contamination by aflatoxins
Sugars - encourage the development of diabetes in birds and is also directly related to the development of fatty liver disease

Your bird's general bad diet caused her to be anemic and would have with or without atherosclerosis.

African Greys are either first of second on the list of birds that are susceptible to fatty liver disease, atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Yes, when a bird is as sick as yours was from atherosclerosis, heart disease and fatty liver their immune system is suppressed and every microbe that comes around, whether fungal or bacterial, has a good chance of infecting your bird.

Before you ever get another bird, please read the information available on this forum regarding proper diets for parrots and the diseases that can effect your bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry for your loss.

Some further reading, there´s a few articles linked in the thread too;

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry honey,,

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
@Hankmacaw I have learned a lot from you and others on this site I wish I came earlier. always saw her so happy eating never realized I was hurting her I have learned my lesson and for the next feather friend I get, I am better prepared and promise I’ll do better much better .no more mistakes .❤
@Priya12

Peanuts are deadly in three ways; 1. High saturated fat content that causes heart disease, atherosclerosis and fatty liver disease 2. Possible presence of Aspergillosis fungus 3. Possible contamination by aflatoxins
Sugars - encourage the development of diabetes in birds and is also directly related to the development of fatty liver disease

Your bird's general bad diet caused her to be anemic and would have with or without atherosclerosis.

African Greys are either first of second on the list of birds that are susceptible to fatty liver disease, atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Yes, when a bird is as sick as yours was from atherosclerosis, heart disease and fatty liver their immune system is suppressed and every microbe that comes around, whether fungal or bacterial, has a good chance of infecting your bird.

Before you ever get another bird, please read the information available on this forum regarding proper diets for parrots and the diseases that can effect your bird.
@Priya12

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sure you won't make the same mistakes again - it hurts too bad. Stay with us here there is much expertise and experience with any parrot you chose.