• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a cat but want a bird

ohheyimlogo

Checking out the neighborhood
I love birds but I have two cats who are quite hunters any tips to keep them out of contact if I ever get one?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A completely separate room for the bird with a door that remains closed religiously. If your bird won't have a bird buddy, you'd have to commit to spending many hours in there with the bird, which would only be fair if the cats got to roam the rest of the house. It would not be fair for the bird to be left in isolation and loneliness.

Ideally, you would wait for your cats to pass away before getting a bird (or birds).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome! But,,no:(,,,no Birdie's with kitties,,it's not worth the risk..being honest.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

HNLong

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Heather Long
We have a small zoo I'll call it, a 100lb lab, 2 kitties & 10 chickens. My wish/ goal is to get a tiel or 2...I have zero experience so I am here to learn. My 2 cats are inside/outside and have no interest in birds except the chickens- yes they take turns chasing each other. I would think there could be a way to have both with proper training.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
The only safe way, in my opinion, of having both predator and prey animals in the same household is to keep them thoroughly separated, and even then there would be risk involved. Either the cats would be limited to one or two (connected) rooms or the birds would have to be limited to one room. If you live in a house, you could have it set up so that the cats live upstairs while the birds live downstairs or visa versa. But even so, you would have to have a solid way of closing off those spaces.

I would think there could be a way to have both with proper training.
I'm sorry, but no... No, you can't. Just because an animal is intelligent enough to be "trained" does not mean that you can train instincts out of the animal.
Please read this link over (Warning - there are some graphic pictures involved). Even when two animals have become "friends," that predatory instinct can switch on at any given moment. MYTH: Parrots, dogs & cats will form a... - APR All Parrot Rescue | Facebook

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Daytime, the cats in my house are sleeping in my bedroom. Birds have free range. Nighttime, birds are in separated room while cats have free roam. They never are in the same room together. Supervised or not, the cat can move much faster. Keep birds flighted in case of a slip up so they have a chance to get away. Cats have bacteria that is deadly to birds; a small scratch or bite can prove fatal. Not worth it!

I have been living with cats and birds in this way for almost 5 years now