• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a 1 year old lorikeet and he has behavior problems, help!

nyh0

Checking out the neighborhood
First of all id like to say that english is not my first language so yeah,

Ok, i have had this lorikeet since he was a little baby and he never had any behavior problems, he still is very docile and kind with me, but he is very agressive with my family and friends, what do i do? How do i make him stop biting and screaming other people, reminder that he doesnt do that with me, he is tottaly cool with me. I dont know what is happening and how do i make it stop, help pls!!!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Your English is perfect! Don't fret!

AS far as the behavior you are noticing? That's pretty normal, unfortunately... and many people don't know what to do about it.

If the other people are fine with it, then I would recommend setting up a treat cup at the front of his cage and any time someone else walks by, have them drop his favorite treats into that cup. As he gets more comfortable with them, they could do target training through the cage bars and have some food or fruit slurry inside of a syringe to be given as a reward. If he's good with this behavior, then the training could continue around the outside of his cage and away from it.

The reason for starting at the cage is to prevent bites! That is, if done correctly, it allows for a person to get more comfortable interacting with the bird without biting, and helps to stop an undesired behavior from occurring. The more a bird has to practice undesired behavior, the more ingrained it becomes to do that behavior!

nyh0

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks, i never thought to give him his reward via syringe, ill definetly try, thanks!