• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I had them 6 years before I knew they were loud!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I always thought parrotlets were QUIET until people here started saying they're loud. It's all in perspective I think. So I went to video mine, and look what happened! Little Linus (at the end, you can't see him well cause if I went over there he'd get scared and shut up) squawking up a storm. :roflmao:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute and happy. Chatty but not loud, IMO, but then I have 'toos and a YNA who likes to join them in the screaming game.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Linus does have a lot to say :swoon: !

I do not consider this loud though.
A chainsaw is loud. A blaring siren is loud. Cities are loud... Maybe a cockatoo screaming in your ear is loud..
This are just happy bird sound.. made me smile :)
Cute and happy. Chatty but not loud, IMO, but then I have 'toos and a YNA who likes to join them in the screaming game.
See, this is how I feel. Happy little bird sounds. Another p'let owner started a thread about how loud they are. I honestly didn't think they were :laugh:

I mean, I have caiques....

It's too bad Skittles wouldn't say peekaboo while I was recording.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Another p'let owner started a thread about how loud they are.
I really wanted to reply that with:"Damnit, if you need your pet to be quiet get a fish!":facepalm:

When I had to give away my budgies I was unable to sleep well in the mornings for months, it was just too quiet.

Maybe Linus discovered the joy of chirping? :laugh:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They definitely seem individual a bit. Picard is probably twice as loud as Neptune.

Yeah in my opinion they aren't THAT loud. I lived with a cockatoo for 8+ years. Parrotlets are moths in comparison.

For a new bird owner they may be surprised by the amount of vocalisations birds make generally. Even my chickens talk all day long. They are always checking in with their flock and keeping a steady dialogue of happiness :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's definitely all relative. (And I think people have different sound tolerances.) But if that was all the louder my birds were I would be ecstatic. LOL. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have hearing loss eventually because of Elvis. :rolleyes:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: Linus sure is a chatterbox! :laugh:
Happy noises! :loveshower:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mom’s parrotlet is louder than that last bit when he’s worked up! :laughing2: And sooo angry. Terrifying tiny rage fluff! She’s always worried he’s going to upset her neighbors.

My personal noise-meter doesn’t register parrotlets (or lovebirds) as loud, though I would generally consider him louder than my lovies. I start thinking “loud” when sun conures and amazons are yelling and it goes up from there, lol. The caiques I’ve been around will do some loud vocalizations, but I haven’t heard them do anything sustained, so they register as “quieter” than the others I mentioned.

Cockatoo people are on a very different level, as is the lung power of their birds! :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fashionfobie Yeah, with that person, I think it’s the new bird owner bit. If you’re not used to the twitters, chitters, and calls, it could very well be surprising. I’ve had birds for most of my life, so to me it’s weird if I’m not hearing break grinding or a vocalization here and there.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
Is that a love bird? And they don't seem loud to me honestly parrotlets seem super quiet to me compared to big birds they can occasionally get loud but it's more squeaky than it is screaming it's one of the many reasons me who has sound sensitivity chose to have budgies. I've gotten used to the sound too by now I'm sure so even though there's day's where i gotta sorta walk out of the room and take personal space there overall a pretty good. I'd love a big bird someday but those, in my opinion, are the loud ones and i don't think i have the ears or mental state to do it, that's not to say i don't like some of the bigger birds it's really all about pitch and tone and the length of things but it's why i love birds at the same time and some of them even if loud are just pretty to listen to and it's like walking in nature.

Inactive

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
X
Not all bird noises are “happy chirping noises,” I have a rescue that SCREAMED the first few days I had him. Probably out of sheer fear and unhappiness out of being in a new situation. But also because I was new to parrotlets and didn’t know what I was doing. I had other birds before, so I thought it would be a breeze. Parrotlets are a whole new game. The 7 hours of non-stop panicked unhappy screaming (accompanied by biting) wasn’t something I was fully prepared for, even if I had been somewhat warned. Yes, birds aren’t a quiet animal. But this was next level.

He has calmed down and the screaming now only occurs when someone accidentally ruffles a plastic or paper bag, or a car alarm goes off outside. His morning sun greeting is a nice, happy, cheerful noise. The screaming is a different thing.

Forest

Strolling the yard
I've never heard parrotlets before, they make such cute whistly beeps!

Happy chattering is the best. Even when it's not "pretty." My cockatiels' whistling and singing is lovely. My budgies' trilling/R2D2 robot noises are the flipping cutest. My GCCs... sound like rusty door hinges. My white winged parakeet sounds like a machine gun. And I love them all (even when I have to wear ear plugs during the WWP's 21-gun salute to the sunset). :lol:

Inactive

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
X
I've never heard parrotlets before, they make such cute whistly beeps!

Happy chattering is the best. Even when it's not "pretty." My cockatiels' whistling and singing is lovely. My budgies' trilling/R2D2 robot noises are the flipping cutest. My GCCs... sound like rusty door hinges. My white winged parakeet sounds like a machine gun. And I love them all (even when I have to wear ear plugs during the WWP's 21-gun salute to the sunset). :lol:
I love all of the noises, even the loud ones, when I know they represent happy sounds. I get upset when I know that a bird is screaming out of fear, misery, pain, or loneliness. Which is the kind of scream you can sometimes hear down the block when someone gets a single bird and leaves it alone all day.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
They sound like my Kalypso - crinkling paper or plastic gets a LOT of vocalization from her. Your parrotlets are adorable :heart: Not loud at all! I love those wee voices.