• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I got to pet a Penguin! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my god! That's awesome! Might have to plan a trip to Pittsburgh when we can. My son would flip his lid. He wants to be a zookeeper that looks after penguins when he grows up.
It's a fun experience. And just visiting the Aviary in general is a really nice. They have different rooms- wetlands, tropics, etc where the birds fly free. And then they have different events throughout the day you can watch and they give a brief talk on some subject- like feeding the wetland birds, feeding the bats, etc. To do an animal encounter children have to be at least 8 years old, although they are talking about doing one for younger children possibly. They also have something called Junior Zookeeper. I'm not sure exactly what that is but I don't think there are age restrictions for that. The encounters have to be booked in advance. And right now with Covid, the Aviary is doing time entry and is selling out on weekends. So if anyone is planning on going, order your tickets before you go. While we were there, a number of people got turned away because they were at the restricted capacity. Normally, you can just walk up and buy tickets.

Cat G

Meeting neighbors
It's a fun experience. And just visiting the Aviary in general is a really nice. They have different rooms- wetlands, tropics, etc where the birds fly free. And then they have different events throughout the day you can watch and they give a brief talk on some subject- like feeding the wetland birds, feeding the bats, etc. To do an animal encounter children have to be at least 8 years old, although they are talking about doing one for younger children possibly. They also have something called Junior Zookeeper. I'm not sure exactly what that is but I don't think there are age restrictions for that. The encounters have to be booked in advance. And right now with Covid, the Aviary is doing time entry and is selling out on weekends. So if anyone is planning on going, order your tickets before you go. While we were there, a number of people got turned away because they were at the restricted capacity. Normally, you can just walk up and buy tickets.
Great info! We're up in Canada so unlikely to be making any trips that way before Covid insanity dies down. In which case he should be old enough by then as well.