• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I got Kyra back <3

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
It's been forever since I've been on the forum. I've missed reading it.

In September 2019, I made a heart-wrenching decision to rehome Kyra - we were trying to sell our house, the cat was always searching her out, she had hurt my littles, and I was having immense guilt that she was stuck in her cage so much due to all of the above. Fast forward March break this year - I get a message from the woman I rehomed her with (a friend who would update me regularly). She could no longer keep Kyra for a variety of reasons. I swooshed in and brought her home faster than you can say get her. OMG, My heart...She had no perches, no toys, she was shaking when the dog or cats are around, she clings to me like never before. Her head does a twitchy thing. Her cage had so much poo all over it that I will now have to wait for warmer weather to get it outside for a huge scrub down (it's just starting to warm up now).

In the few weeks since bringing her home, her feathers are looking better and better every day. Her twitch is almost gone (I'm sure she had some kind of neuro damage but the person says she never saw her do it before). She still shakes a little, but it's slowing down. She's interacting with her toys again. I bring her into the bathroom/shower with me every day - if she wants under the water I turn the pressure way down and she waves her head all around enjoying it or she'll fly off. She snuggles with me all the time.

I feel like crying - I thought that she was going to an amazing home and I think at first she was. Unfortunately, the person has a lot on her plate and I think Kyra ended up being neglected. I feel so much guilt. I keep thinking - why didn't I just tough it out, she would have been ok. Why didn't I try this or try that before rehoming her. I hurt inside so much thinking about it all.

She now has a ton of toys, plenty of perches (none of that plain generic type). She gets lots of great food, treats, and so many snuggles. Here's a little video of her snuggling - Kyra Snuggles and another of her adorable noises Kyra scritches

She looks much better now.

20210322_174721.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so happy you got her back! Don't beat yourself up. You did what you thought was right at the time. She's a really pretty girl. :)

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
It's been forever since I've been on the forum. I've missed reading it.

In September 2019, I made a heart-wrenching decision to rehome Kyra - we were trying to sell our house, the cat was always searching her out, she had hurt my littles, and I was having immense guilt that she was stuck in her cage so much due to all of the above. Fast forward March break this year - I get a message from the woman I rehomed her with (a friend who would update me regularly). She could no longer keep Kyra for a variety of reasons. I swooshed in and brought her home faster than you can say get her. OMG, My heart...She had no perches, no toys, she was shaking when the dog or cats are around, she clings to me like never before. Her head does a twitchy thing. Her cage had so much poo all over it that I will now have to wait for warmer weather to get it outside for a huge scrub down (it's just starting to warm up now).

In the few weeks since bringing her home, her feathers are looking better and better every day. Her twitch is almost gone (I'm sure she had some kind of neuro damage but the person says she never saw her do it before). She still shakes a little, but it's slowing down. She's interacting with her toys again. I bring her into the bathroom/shower with me every day - if she wants under the water I turn the pressure way down and she waves her head all around enjoying it or she'll fly off. She snuggles with me all the time.

I feel like crying - I thought that she was going to an amazing home and I think at first she was. Unfortunately, the person has a lot on her plate and I think Kyra ended up being neglected. I feel so much guilt. I keep thinking - why didn't I just tough it out, she would have been ok. Why didn't I try this or try that before rehoming her. I hurt inside so much thinking about it all.

She now has a ton of toys, plenty of perches (none of that plain generic type). She gets lots of great food, treats, and so many snuggles. Here's a little video of her snuggling - Kyra Snuggles and another of her adorable noises Kyra scritches

She looks much better now.

View attachment 377061
What a beautiful bird...with your love she will bounce right back!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’m so glad you have her home again. She’s beautiful!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
She's so pretty! I'm glad you got her back : )

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My heart...She had no perches, no toys, she was shaking when the dog or cats are around, she clings to me like never before. Her head does a twitchy thing. Her cage had so much poo all over it
:sadhug2: My heart hurts for you both. I'm just glad the woman called you instead of trying to rehome Kyra herself.

I'm sure everything started out fine and life got the better of this woman. You rehomed her to what you thought was an ideal situation and also for the safety of your littles. You (and she) had no way of knowing how things would turn out. I only wish she would have called you sooner, though I imagine she kept thinking if she tried a little longer that things would improve. I tell myself that about a lot of things, just like you're wondering now if you should've/could've.

So good that she's improving so quickly. :heart: I hope her head twitching stops soon. Were there any questionable metals in reach? Chipped bars?

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Thank you everyone <3 I'm teary just re-reading this.
:sadhug2: My heart hurts for you both. I'm just glad the woman called you instead of trying to rehome Kyra herself.
So much this - thankfully, her and I are friends and she knew all along to contact me if anything changed.

I'm sure everything started out fine and life got the better of this woman. You rehomed her to what you thought was an ideal situation and also for the safety of your littles. You (and she) had no way of knowing how things would turn out. I only wish she would have called you sooner, though I imagine she kept thinking if she tried a little longer that things would improve. I tell myself that about a lot of things, just like you're wondering now if you should've/could've.

So good that she's improving so quickly. :heart: I hope her head twitching stops soon. Were there any questionable metals in reach? Chipped bars?
That is exactly what happened - I'm not angry with the woman, hurt and upset but not angry. I know that she did her best with what she could. She has too much on her plate and I know she struggled with giving her up.

I didn't notice any chipped bars...but I don't know what she may or may not have been exposed to. I know that the woman has many other birds, lizards, and furry creatures (probably too many). I know she used to free fly quite a bit so goodness knows what she got into. I'm pretty sure she remembered me as it took very little time for her to trust me again. I'll never let her go again...never. I look forward to getting home so I can snuggle with her. My dog is getting jealous LOL (she's an 11 month old puppy, curious about Kyra but Kyra is scared of her). My littles (Kalypso the parrotlet and Pi the budgie) are out of sorts, but they are getting used to seeing her again (pretty sure Kalypso is hormonal as she has been in attack mode for the last week...).

Anyway, I'm doing my best to make her and everyone happy. Love my girl.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It was meant to be :heart: