• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Found Another Bird On Craigslist...

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

I found another bird on Craigslist. The description says this one is tame. Here's a pic:

1605558196465.png

She looks like she's in pretty good conditions. Better than the last bird I found.

Any advice?

Thanks, Adriana R.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
She’s beautiful! Make sure you think about this, and go to meet her before you commit to getting her. She may be a perfect bird, but meet some other birds too, maybe you’ll find the perfect bird for you. :)

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
She’s beautiful! Make sure you think about this, and go to meet her before you commit to getting her. She may be a perfect bird, but meet some other birds too, maybe you’ll find the perfect bird for you. :)
Yes, definitely. I have a few favorited birds on craigslist but I like this one the best. She's a tame rehome, so I wouldn't have to tame her once I get her.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She looks like a double yellow headed Amazon. Someone on here has one; I asked what kind it was. @aooratrix may have some advice.

I wish you better luck than I'm having. So far no reply from the person with the budgies I'm interested in.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
She looks like a double yellow headed Amazon. Someone on here has one; I asked what kind it was. @aooratrix may have some advice.

I wish you better luck than I'm having. So far no reply from the person with the budgies I'm interested in.
Oof. I hate when that happens.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before falling in love, make sure you see the owner handle her. If the owner can't handle the bird, you are going to have a challenge.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Can second her being a DYH (double yellow head)
Also other than seeing the owner handle her you can also try to interact, at a safe distance since love at first sight does exist (as for me at least)
Good luck!

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck! Have you asked the owner if it`s seen the vet recently?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And, if they are truly caring owners they will have hopefully proof of an avian Vet visit within a reasonable timeframe last year.

Highly doubtful. But you can ask.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
So, I contacted the owner and he said that she is not tame, but on the ad it says she is. I really don't think I can tame an amazon, so I guess I'm gonna have to keep looking.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Things can be deceiving online. If you're not sure, I think you're making a wise decision.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
So, I contacted the owner and he said that she is not tame, but on the ad it says she is. I really don't think I can tame an amazon, so I guess I'm gonna have to keep looking.
Many rescues that have birds truly know them very well. Especially long time residents. They will most likely be vetted, you'll know possibly their past history too, or special needs.

Many Amazons are in rescues and foster homes. This is a best bet for anyone wanting an Amazon, or any bird species. You will know their likes, dislikes and any behavioral issues from screaming to ones that are hands on.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Many rescues that have birds truly know them very well. Especially long time residents. They will most likely be vetted, you'll know possibly their past history too, or special needs.

Many Amazons are in rescues and foster homes. This is a best bet for anyone wanting an Amazon, or any bird species. You will know their likes, dislikes and any behavioral issues from screaming to ones that are hands on.

And many rescues are almost impossible to adopt from. If you want something rare, good luck: some will hold on to that for marketing.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Aren't you the person going to boarding school? Several members pointed out that that is NOT a good situation for a bird. I agree with them. Get a fish until you're independent and settled in a bird-friendly environment.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

The bird in the photo looks like a dyh.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Aren't you the person going to boarding school? Several members pointed out that that is NOT a good situation for a bird. I agree with them. Get a fish until you're independent and settled in a bird-friendly environment.
She said it was just an option and doesn't plan on going.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And many rescues are almost impossible to adopt from. If you want something rare, good luck: some will hold on to that for marketing.
Yes, to a degree you are correct. The rescue we got Sophie from has a Hy that was willed to them, Sarah. They also have Teddy, an M2 that is their mascot who goes to events. She also has a hybird Hyacinth that is also not available for adoption.

But, if the perfect home comes along, she would consider the bird first. She's a wonderful Lady! Teddy was our interest, but he is deeply bonded to her, and he was too much Bird for me. So we kept our sights and heart open for another Girlie U2.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
When I was looking for a companion for my lovebird, I made a craigslist post and within the day I got a response about a lovebird needing buddy as well- picked her out that day. I would post what you are looking for and see if anyone is contacts you. Be careful of scams of course! It worked out really well for me.