• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a ringneck and i need some opinions!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi Emily, I would have private messaged you but I don't have the posts to do so. I was texted since I am missing my ringneck and was wondering what state you are located in? I am in RI. My girl (not DNA'd but did the bowing and clucking) got out last summer and we tracked her around via messages and sightings but never found her. I have attached a couple of pictures showing her in different lighting as she varied greatly depending on the lighting.
Does not appear to be your bird... (different country aside) but I hope you are able to find her! I only mention as the birds Emily has are more violet in color where-as your baby is more blue.

Wow that's crazy! African ringnecks have a more brown to their beaks don't they? Yeh I wonder that to we have looked for the owner but found no-one. But both the birds have become best friends which is great! They are running a muck around the house together haha double trouble!
Yes, they do have darker beaks!

Ferdgirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Crystal
I really doubt she made it to Australia best of luck to you, they're great birds!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can I please ask you what state you live in?
If I had to make a guess at this point as to what state you live in then my guess would be that you live in Victoria??

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Does not appear to be your bird... (different country aside) but I hope you are able to find her! I only mention as the birds Emily has are more violet in color where-as your baby is more blue.

Yes, they do have darker beaks!
Well I am pretty sure Indie is a boy!!!!! It keeps calling itself a good boy and then we put him in front of the mirror and he wouldn't stop doing the male mating dance it was super cute!!! And I think bluey is a girl because she didn't do that in front of the mirror! It was funny!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
If I had to make a guess at this point as to what state you live in then my guess would be that you live in Victoria??
I'm from Victoria it wouldn't be your friends bird though cause I just discovered it's a boy. When we found him he was super hungry and distressed and he's too tamed for a bird that's been in the wild for 3 years with no humans.

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
I'm from Victoria it wouldn't be your friends bird though cause I just discovered it's a boy. When we found him he was super hungry and distressed and he's too tamed for a bird that's been in the wild for 3 years with no humans.
Good luck though hope you find her!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The sex of my friends bird was not mentioned but if my memory serves me correct it was indeed a talking male and your assumption that it can’t be her bird because it is too friendly/tame for an escapee is seriously flawed but I see and feel that it’s unlikely you’re even slightly interested in entertaining the idea that there is a chance it’s my friends lost bird.
I sincerely hope your correct in your assumptions as I’d honestly hate to think that you just fobbed off a chance to find the birds true owners.
I believe you’ll give the bird a good and safe home but that still doesn’t justify not even trying to find out if there’s a possibility it was my friends bird. I get it, I do but in all honesty the chances are 50/50 really.

I wish you well.

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
The sex of my friends bird was not mentioned but if my memory serves me correct it was indeed a talking male and your assumption that it can’t be her bird because it is too friendly/tame for an escapee is seriously flawed but I see and feel that it’s unlikely you’re even slightly interested in entertaining the idea that there is a chance it’s my friends lost bird.
I sincerely hope your correct in your assumptions as I’d honestly hate to think that you just fobbed off a chance to find the birds true owners.
I believe you’ll give the bird a good and safe home but that still doesn’t justify not even trying to find out if there’s a possibility it was my friends bird. I get it, I do but in all honesty the chances are 50/50 really.

I wish you well.
Wow that's a bit hostile! Umm if it was 3 years ago the bird would have a black ring by now this bird is probably less than a year old males get black rings between 18 months and 3 years. Clearly your not very familiar with the growth of a ringneck. Good luck.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hostile... which post?? :laugh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I lost a bird about 5 years ago now and I still get calls from people asking me if they found my bird :) She wouldn't have to be loose for 5 years... Maybe she was found by someone and then escaped another home. So many things are possible. I would give ANYTHING to just know she was alive and happy and well. Knowing that people still contact me even when the chances are so slim that it's her rekindles my faith in humanity.

If there is a 0.01% chance this is someone's bird, at least give them closure. That does not mean blindly hand a bird over to someone, of course! Most people don't want "a bird that looks like their bird they lost". They only want THEIR bird or the knowledge that they didn't die outside.

It's the not knowing that eats me alive.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Wow that's a bit hostile! Umm if it was 3 years ago the bird would have a black ring by now this bird is probably less than a year old males get black rings between 18 months and 3 years. Clearly your not very familiar with the growth of a ringneck. Good luck.
I'm SURE there are WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE... who would 'grab and run'... If I'd ever have lost a bird, I'd be bitter too! Thank goodness for the many honest people in the world! Us bird folks have to stick together! :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm SURE there are WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE... who would 'grab and run'
If you mean people who are looking for their lost companions, they won´t do that. Like Shawna said;
Most people don't want "a bird that looks like their bird they lost". They only want THEIR bird or the knowledge that they didn't die outside.
Anyone can go out and buy another bird, or pick one up at a shelter... but that´s not the point, they just want their friend back, not a lookielikey.

If you mean, people who find birds, and then just wanting to keep them with no intention of finding their family, yes, that happens sadly :(