• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a ringneck and i need some opinions!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
My husband found a lost ringneck and the owner has not been found so we will be keeping the bird and have named it Indie. We are unsure if the bird is male or female or how old the bird may be? The bird is well tamed and very friendly and can play and say "peek-a-boo", "step up", "gimme kiss" and "good boy". I am guessing it may be a boy if the past owner taught it to say "good boy" but I wanted some opinions of fellow parrot owners.

Also we have another ringneck named Bluey who is a more vibrant violet/blue colour who is just starting to develop a slight black ring so we are assuming it may be a boy i think she is about 18 months now? and the ringneck we saved is around the same size of Bluey however it's body is a bit more stocky, it has no ring, its feet are thicker and slightly darker in colour and its beak looks thicker and sort of wider as well. Also I did have a ringneck in the past with these same traits which was a young male.

Also Bluey has a higher-pitched voice whereas the bird we saved has more of a calm voice which is more pleasant to listen to.

I'm aware that to find out the sex you need to DNA for accuracy but I don't want to put this bird through anymore trauma and lose our trust. I have attached an image of Indie the bird we saved and i have also attached an image of Bluey as i want some opinions on whether bluey may be a boy or girl as well
:)
. The image of Bluey is the bird sitting on the white perch and the other image isof Indie. Also i have attached a photo of them together so you can see the sizes of them together. Let me know what you guys think and if you can tell maybe how old Indie could be? Thanks! 20210317_143915.jpg 20210317_143818.jpg 20210317_143946.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not very knowledgeable on ring necks but I do wonder what all the differences are between African and Indian ring necks.
I believe size and beak colour is the main difference but I’m not certain... I did notice that the birds you posted have different colour nares as well as being different sizes.
Hopefully someone will be along soon with some ring neck knowledge. @Monica?

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Awe the bird you found sounds like his family loved him immensely. Did you post on fb and parrot 911? I’m glad your husband found the bird! I think you found a female- they have thicker feet! Does the bird you found have a band ? And we’re you able to have the bird scanned ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I do want to say that they are both indian ringnecks... and I would hazard to guess that one is male, the other is female... based on individual differences between them... but I could be wrong!

Indie appears to be a violet blue?

And Bluey a violet turquoise? I see some green looking feathers in the wings.

I suspect both may have dark factors as well. India could be double dark, Bluey single?

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
I do want to say that they are both indian ringnecks... and I would hazard to guess that one is male, the other is female... based on individual differences between them... but I could be wrong!

Indie appears to be a violet blue?

And Bluey a violet turquoise? I see some green looking feathers in the wings.

I suspect both may have dark factors as well. India could be double dark, Bluey single?
Yes bluey has some green in the wings :) and also is forming a slight ring I noticed the head is also looking more squareish ! It's funny though because bluey does the female mating thing to my husband and full on tilts his/her head back and clucks!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Yes bluey has some green in the wings :) and also is forming a slight ring I noticed the head is also looking more squareish ! It's funny though because bluey does the female mating thing to my husband and full on tilts his/her head back and clucks!
I have also seen bluey do the male dance to!!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Awe the bird you found sounds like his family loved him immensely. Did you post on fb and parrot 911? I’m glad your husband found the bird! I think you found a female- they have thicker feet! Does the bird you found have a band ? And we’re you able to have the bird scanned ?
No band and we have looked everywhere online for them unfortunately

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I didn't notice an actual ring....

Look again at the picture.... no ring. I see a bit of a haze... of where the ring should go... but this is not a definite sign of Bluey being male since females can get ghost rings....

I was actually leaning towards Bluey being female and Indie male.

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
I didn't notice an actual ring....

Look again at the picture.... no ring. I see a bit of a haze... of where the ring should go... but this is not a definite sign of Bluey being male since females can get ghost rings....

I was actually leaning towards Bluey being female and Indie male.
Yeah that's what I said to my husband that females can get a faint slight ring but I guess time will tell! I honestly thought that bluey was female as she/he is quite a petite bird and the other birds beak is like the beak of a male we used to have but it's just super hard to tell...it's interesting to try and guess it though haha!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yeah that's what I said to my husband that females can get a faint slight ring but I guess time will tell! I honestly thought that bluey was female as she/he is quite a petite bird and the other birds beak is like the beak of a male we used to have but it's just super hard to tell...it's interesting to try and guess it though haha!

African ringnecks are even more "fun" to have! :lol:

I picked up a 'green bird' several years ago. Missing tail and flights. Was told the bird was a canary winged parakeet. Okay. Small bird. Not a large beak. Go to pick up, then being told the bird is in the senegal family. Uh.... that's a somewhat differently sized bird!

I finally see "it", and I see an AFRICAN ringneck! Without a doubt!

I live in an area where bird keeping isn't huge... and ringnecks aren't popular... but this bird, definitely ARN! I've had people tell me that she's an 'indian', and one person, without seeing a picture, told me that it's called an "African GREY"! Greys aren't green! Was pretty sure she was a "she". No history other than found outside... but she had a band. Band indicates she was imported in 2013... oh boy! That opened up another can! They stopped importing birds in '92! She must be older! Must have made a mistake in my typing! Nope... it's quite possible that she's wild caught... Had gender questioned.... waited a year... she never grew a ring! She also isn't very vocal at all...

I have seen darker rings on females, but not the same dark as a male.

I love most blue colored birds... and violet? Absolutely stunning! :D I wonder if no one is really looking for "Indie"?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, indie is not Indian? Lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know of someone still looking for their blue IRN that got out and while trying to land on its owner got chased away by a heap of crows. They watched their bird and the crows till they disappeared in the sky miles away. Put out flyers, FB posts etc. everyone in town was saying that if the bird was indeed rescued by anyone it would certainly be returned as it spoke a few small sentences/phrases such as the bird that was found here in this thread... that bird was lost about two and a half to three years ago if my memory is correct. I really don’t think many people realise just how far lost birds being chased or searching for food and safety can travel which is another issue as most finders of lost birds searching for original owners only concentrate on their local area.

Ferdgirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Crystal
Hi Emily, I would have private messaged you but I don't have the posts to do so. I was texted since I am missing my ringneck and was wondering what state you are located in? I am in RI. My girl (not DNA'd but did the bowing and clucking) got out last summer and we tracked her around via messages and sightings but never found her. I have attached a couple of pictures showing her in different lighting as she varied greatly depending on the lighting.

Attachments

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily

I picked up a 'green bird' several years ago. Missing tail and flights. Was told the bird was a canary winged parakeet. Okay. Small bird. Not a large beak. Go to pick up, then being told the bird is in the senegal family. Uh.... that's a somewhat differently sized bird!

I live in an area where bird keeping isn't huge... and ringnecks aren't popular... but this bird, definitely ARN! I've had people tell me that she's an 'indian', and one person, without seeing a picture, told me that it's called an "African GREY"! Greys aren't green! Was pretty sure she was a "she". No history other than found outside... but she had a band. Band indicates she was imported in 2013... oh boy! That opened up another can! They stopped importing birds in '92! She must be older! Must have made a mistake in my typing! Nope... it's quite possible that she's wild caught... Had gender questioned.... waited a year... she never grew a ring! She also isn't very vocal at all...

I love most blue colored birds... and violet? Absolutely stunning! :D I wonder if no one is really looking for "Indie"?
Wow that's crazy! African ringnecks have a more brown to their beaks don't they? Yeh I wonder that to we have looked for the owner but found no-one. But both the birds have become best friends which is great! They are running a muck around the house together haha double trouble!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily

I forgot to mention Indie has been losing a few little fluffy feathers and I remember this happening to bluey when she/he was juvenile. The feathers remind me of when bluey was younger and was starting to grow her adult feathers and lose her little ones...so maybe indie is young or if it's a female adult maybe she wasn't fed proper food? Which I hope isn't the case!! Indie is on an excellent diet now and seems very happy she/he is a chatterbox and especially loves to call her/himself a good boy...so I'm guessing the previous owner called it a good boy...so it could be a boy!

Emilyvicto

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Hi Emily, I would have private messaged you but I don't have the posts to do so. I was texted since I am missing my ringneck and was wondering what state you are located in? I am in RI. My girl (not DNA'd but did the bowing and clucking) got out last summer and we tracked her around via messages and sightings but never found her. I have attached a couple of pictures showing her in different lighting as she varied greatly depending on the lighting.
I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm actually from Australia!