• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a nice bird cage.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I found a bird cage this morning, its a nice size to house a breeding pair of canaries or a pair of finches and its vintage looking, however its a bit rusty and could use some work before it can accommodate any birds.

My plan is to dismantle it and sand down all the rust as best I can then re-paint the rusty bars. I'll be doing this at my moms house in her garden away from my birds at home.

I live in the UK so I can only get UK based products. Are there any bird safe paints that are suitable for painting bird cages with?

Thanks.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
A great way to get rust off I learned is spray area with vinegar and warm water then sprinkle baking soda on area leave for 1 hour and scrub off ..this works so well I couldn't belive it :cantwait:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
What about paint?

I'm thinking that if nothing is coating the bars they will soon rust again?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I've dismantled the cage to clean all the metal sides. I'm doing one piece at a time. I've filled a spray bottle with white vinegar but I'm having trouble applying the baking soda it just falls through the bars. I tried applying the baking soda with a paint brush but that didn't work.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Now that I have it all apart I'm getting some creative ideas and visions of changing the design a bit to make it larger. The top part has an ornate shape but the bottom part is square and I can rebuild the button part into a much larger section then place the ornate top back on besides making it larger will be an overall improvement even though is a reasonable sized cage already as it stands.

Before I start modifying and adding more pieces to it, I'll take some photos so once its done I'll have some before and after photos to put on here.