• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a lovebird and I need help!

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
Hello everyone I am new here and I’m not sure how does this quite work...
So I found a peach faced lovebird on my roof last week and I decided to keep it. I put him in a medium cage I have at home because the shops are closed (lockdown)...
but I have some questions regarding his attitude (I named him Iago)
- After 1 full week of talking next to his cage and slowly approaching him, Iago is still super afraid of me or anyone in the house, is this normal?
- I have noticed that in the morning he’s very active and he chirps all the time but whenever I (or anyone) enter the room, he sits on his perch and closes his eyes when we talk... is this normal too?
I can’t take him to any vet right now because of the lockdown so i’m afraid he might be sick but I don’t know.. (no feather plucking, no discharges, nothing visible to be worried about... I think)
Thank you in advance for your help :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Carine :starshower1:

So I found a peach faced lovebird on my roof last week and I decided to keep it.
Did you try to find the birds family? It is the right thing to do.
There are groups on facebook, and also you can log him on www.parrotalert.com

Iago is still super afraid of me or anyone in the house, is this normal?
It is difficult to know if this is just that you are a new person, or if this bird was parent raised and has escaped an aviary, or was in a home where no one interacted with him. Keep at what you are doing, see where it takes you :)

- I have noticed that in the morning he’s very active and he chirps all the time but whenever I (or anyone) enter the room, he sits on his perch and closes his eyes when we talk... is this normal too?
I would not think so, but each bird is their own, so I cannot say 100%.

I can’t take him to any vet right now because of the lockdown so i’m afraid he might be sick but I don’t know.. (no feather plucking, no discharges, nothing visible to be worried about... I think)
Just take him when you can. If you have no other birds then you wonñt have to worry about quaratining the bird. But a vet check is good to screen for any illnesses/diseases. In the meantime, monitor him closely.

Don´t worry too much about your temporary cage. There´s no point investing just yet incase you find the birds family.

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
Welcome to the Avenue Carine :starshower1:

Did you try to find the birds family? It is the right thing to do.
There are groups on facebook, and also you can log him on www.parrotalert.com

It is difficult to know if this is just that you are a new person, or if this bird was parent raised and has escaped an aviary, or was in a home where no one interacted with him. Keep at what you are doing, see where it takes you :)

I would not think so, but each bird is their own, so I cannot say 100%.

Just take him when you can. If you have no other birds then you wonñt have to worry about quaratining the bird. But a vet check is good to screen for any illnesses/diseases. In the meantime, monitor him closely.

Don´t worry too much about your temporary cage. There´s no point investing just yet incase you find the birds family.

Thank you!!!
Yes I have tried searching for the family but I got nothing
Thank you I will take him to a vet asap...
I really hope Iago is okay and will get eventually comfortable with me around because I already love him so much!
Thanks again and have a wonderful day :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I really hope Iago is okay and will get eventually comfortable with me around because I already love him so much!
Go to a pet shop (or look online), get some millet on the sprig (aka spray millet, panizo)..
Cut a 5cm chunk off, and hold it to the cage bars, let the little one come over and try it.
Offer it daily while you talk to him, each week, shorten the piece of millet until you are able to feed him the little balls (cluster - they are about 1cm2)

edit;
I also want to add, if you want to let him out to fly a little, take him to your bedroom, close the door, bird proof it (close curtains, turn off radiators/fans, block small nooks and spaces). Put a perch externally on the cage to help him get in and out. You can also try this out;
(remember, it could take days or weeks between each step, and when it is a new day, you may have to breifly start from the begining but will find shortening the millet easier)

Carine

Moving in
Real Name
Carine
W
Go to a pet shop (or look online), get some millet on the sprig (aka spray millet, panizo)..
Cut a 5cm chunk off, and hold it to the cage bars, let the little one come over and try it.
Offer it daily while you talk to him, each week, shorten the piece of millet until you are able to feed him the little balls (cluster - they are about 1cm2)

edit;
I also want to add, if you want to let him out to fly a little, take him to your bedroom, close the door, bird proof it (close curtains, turn off radiators/fans, block small nooks and spaces). Put a perch externally on the cage to help him get in and out. You can also try this out;
(remember, it could take days or weeks between each step, and when it is a new day, you may have to breifly start from the begining but will find shortening the millet easier)
Wow what a wonderful idea! Thank you I will try these steps!