• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a drowned chick in the water bowl.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Today, when I came home I saw my birds. I looked at their water bowl and saw something weird. It looked like poo so I was about to get rid of it. Then... I saw a chick. A drowned chick. In the water. Live well in heaven little one... My birds arent even supposed to have babies!
1. They are too young
2. The cage is too small
3. Pet birds should not breed. But the breeder told us to....:(:sorrow::sad5:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sorrow:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, how sad. :sorrow: Maybe you can get some dummy eggs and replace any eggs you find with them. That way the eggs can’t hatch and something like this won’t happen again.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Update : We found a living chick in their nest. I'm gonna wait till the chicks all grow up and then I'm gonna cage transfer them. Hopefully they will not drown...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you mice the water bowl to where the chick can’t fall in it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear that.

My birds arent even supposed to have babies!
1. They are too young
2. The cage is too small
3. Pet birds should not breed.
in their nest
So why give a nest?
Birds like sleeping on perches, they don´t need nests and ¨beds¨.

Dummy eggs for the future is a good idea.

I'll try....
Just move the water so it´s higher than the nest.

If you post a picture of your cage set up, members might be able to offer more specific advice

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
So why give a nest?
I did not put a nest in there, The breeder who gave us the birds recommended my mom to breed them. I got them by surprise because I was really desperate to get a pet. My mom, having a new initiative to breed them, bought a nest. Although I am grateful she bought me pets, she impulse bought them, hence the problems started to rise.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yep, glass rocks/marbles in the water bowl so they can drink from the gaps and not drown (I like the flattish glass rocks they sell for aquariums).

Also, if their enclosure has a smooth bottom, put down a rubber pebbled shelf liner - something like this. It gives the chicks a good grip to walk on so they don't get splay legged, you can sprinkle food across it to encourage eating until they work out where the bowls are (they figure it out pretty quick, but they can be clueless the first few days), it lets you monitor their droppings, and it's easy to clean with dish soap.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Yep, glass rocks/marbles in the water bowl so they can drink from the gaps and not drown (I like the flattish glass rocks they sell for aquariums).

Also, if their enclosure has a smooth bottom, put down a rubber pebbled shelf liner - something like this. It gives the chicks a good grip to walk on so they don't get splay legged, you can sprinkle food across it to encourage eating until they work out where the bowls are (they figure it out pretty quick, but they can be clueless the first few days), it lets you monitor their droppings, and it's easy to clean with dish soap.
Ok thanks.