• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel terrible. His wings were clipped..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry this happened to you two. :( I hope his feathers grow back soon.

In the meantime, like others have said, giving him other ways to increase his mobility will make this less frustrating. Also trying to pay attention to his signals on where he wants to go. Poppy was clipped before I got her in April, and has just gotten in a primary feather on each wing (still can't fly yet though). She uses headbobs to tell me if she wants to go somewhere, and if she's allowed to be there, I bring her to that place because she can't do it herself.
Thanks. I feel rotten for being the cause of his clipping..he was so happy and energetic before..

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
These 'parking lot' handovers are my biggest fear.
I tape 'DO NOT CUT WINGS' on my carrier, and stress to the girl picking my bird (It was my Zon) up not to cut the wings.
There's always the vet who 'knows it all' and does it because they think it's for the best. :(
I hope your baby adjusts quickly and the feathers molt out soon.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
All of my birds came to me clipped, I was naive or didn't have a say but I can tell you that they all fly now. My two linnies took a lot of encouragement, however. But if your bird was flying before I imagine he'll be right back to it as soon as he can (although it can take a long time.) My lovebird was flighted as soon as possible, she was determined! It's really sad that clipping is so common, still. I regularly encounter surprise when talking to people about my birds and them flying. It's crazy. They're birds!! Of course they should fly! Preaching to the choir, but if you want an animal that stays put, maybe a bird isn't the best choice. Poor thing, the best is when you see those butchered flights in the bottom of the cage because you know new ones are coming in!

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
These 'parking lot' handovers are my biggest fear.
I tape 'DO NOT CUT WINGS' on my carrier, and stress to the girl picking my bird (It was my Zon) up not to cut the wings.
There's always the vet who 'knows it all' and does it because they think it's for the best. :(
I hope your baby adjusts quickly and the feathers molt out soon.
Thank you. I honestly didn't realize what I was doing. I knew his wings had been clipped before I got him sometime..but I knew he flew well, so I told her to trim them if they needed it. I didn't think they would trim the two longer ones completely short, or what a difference it would make.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
All of my birds came to me clipped, I was naive or didn't have a say but I can tell you that they all fly now. My two linnies took a lot of encouragement, however. But if your bird was flying before I imagine he'll be right back to it as soon as he can (although it can take a long time.) My lovebird was flighted as soon as possible, she was determined! It's really sad that clipping is so common, still. I regularly encounter surprise when talking to people about my birds and them flying. It's crazy. They're birds!! Of course they should fly! Preaching to the choir, but if you want an animal that stays put, maybe a bird isn't the best choice. Poor thing, the best is when you see those butchered flights in the bottom of the cage because you know new ones are coming in!
Thank you. He used to love flying over to his play gym (its on wheels and has several levels) and would play for hours..now he cant fly to it, I put him on it, and I hold my breath if he climbs to the top (about 5 feet) hoping he doesn't fall..but I don't want him to be afraid to try either..
I look forward to seeing the flight feathers gone with new ones on the way. I just hope he doesn't hold a lifelong grudge with me.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Oh goodness, I'm sorry that happened! :( This has always been such a nightmare of mine, and not being able to go inside for visits during covid has dialed it up to 100.

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Sorry to hear of Memphis’ wing trimming. That happened to my Quaker also, and we are at about the year mark. He’s been molting wing feathers for two months. I’m curious, does your vet do a jugular blood draw on your Quaker? I’ve heard Quakers can be difficult blood draws due to a difference in their anatomy.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Sorry to hear of Memphis’ wing trimming. That happened to my Quaker also, and we are at about the year mark. He’s been molting wing feathers for two months. I’m curious, does your vet do a jugular blood draw on your Quaker? I’ve heard Quakers can be difficult blood draws due to a difference in their anatomy.
I really dont know how the blood was drawn. I just know she said she had gotten enough blood for the blood panels and a dna testing.
Hope your quaker is doing well...

Reactions: tjc

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
My vet took blood for Poppy's DNA test from her nail by trimming it to the quick, saying that this was the easiest way to get blood from little birds. Maybe they did something similar with your quaker.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My vet took blood for Poppy's DNA test from her nail by trimming it to the quick, saying that this was the easiest way to get blood from little birds. Maybe they did something similar with your quaker.
Maybe. I didn't like not being able to go in and calm Memphis and see exactly what was going on, although I do understand the reasoning.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Maybe. I didn't like not being able to go in and calm Memphis and see exactly what was going on, although I do understand the reasoning.
I agree. I'm at least grateful that my current vet sets up a Zoom call on their iPad. I was able to talk to Poppy while she was in there and she could see me at least. I wonder if you need to go again during COVID, you could ask your vet if that would be possible.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I agree. I'm at least grateful that my current vet sets up a Zoom call on their iPad. I was able to talk to Poppy while she was in there and she could see me at least. I wonder if you need to go again during COVID, you could ask your vet if that would be possible.
Wow thats really great you were able to talk with her during her visit.
One thing In my twisted head I'm hoping, is since Memphis didn't see me during the wing clipping and blood taking, he won't relate me to having a connection to it ..lol at least thats what my twisted mind hopes:joyful:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it was for tests not just DNA then they would not have used the nail method I would not think.
Burt had blood taken from the inside (or underside) of the wing when they took blood for tests.
I have heard of the jugular, inner wing and the leg being used for blood tests but I have only ever heard of the nail being used for DNA.

@Blueboi I hope your bird molts very soon and is able to fly again before long. I can not imagine how you feel for your bird, I don't think I would cope very well with the situation if it were me. :bighug:

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
If it was for tests not just DNA then they would not have used the nail method I would not think.
Burt had blood taken from the inside (or underside) of the wing when they took blood for tests.
I have heard of the jugular, inner wing and the leg being used for blood tests but I have only ever heard of the nail being used for DNA.

@Blueboi I hope your bird molts very soon and is able to fly again before long. I can not imagine how you feel for your bird, I don't think I would cope very well with the situation if it were me. :bighug:
Thank you!
Its sad seeing him rely on me so much to get around. I didn't realize everything would be completely different. I thought he would still be able to fly some..