• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel so ignorant about a bird's sense of smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
knowing how much my birds can smell and if their able to detect odors well in captivity. They have the apparatus for detecting odors in their nasal passages, but wonder if the smell of their food, house odors or even human odor effects their behavior, who they may bond with and their selection of foods.

I'm interested to know if you have any reason to think that your birds do or do not have well developed smell and if it affects them daily? :confused:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I wonder that too. :confused:
I mean, I know that smelly stuff affects them much more than it affects us, but I wonder if it affects them the way ragweed, dust or pollen would affect someone that's allergic to it? I'm pretty sure my mom can't smell that stuff, but it definitely bothers her. :huh:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that birds had extremely excellent hearing and sight but that their sense of smell was not as strong--- I think not using anything with strong smells (candles, air freshners, ) has more to do with the permeability of their lungs and air sacs (no filters as in humans for the release of energy for flight) rather than a sense of smell.??????

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder that too. :confused:
I mean, I know that smelly stuff affects them much more than it affects us, but I wonder if it affects them the way ragweed, dust or pollen would affect someone that's allergic to it? I'm pretty sure my mom can't smell that stuff, but it definitely bothers her. :huh:
Your right, birds do have chronic allergic reactions to a variety of antigens, including molds and grasses, with sneezing and nasal discharges as common symptoms.

I am wondering about their smelling foods that would affect whether or not they want to eat it, or even human body odor making a difference if they like or bond with a particular human which might answer why they become attracted to certain members in a household with no prior interaction with them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that birds had extremely excellent hearing and sight but that their sense of smell was not as strong--- I think not using anything with strong smells (candles, air freshners, ) has more to do with the permeability of their lungs and air sacs (no filters as in humans for the release of energy for flight) rather than a sense of smell.??????
That was my understanding.

Great links Erika.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
interesting stuff! I have also wondered about their sense of smell.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Thanks, I did read these and wondered if anyone has noticed their birds making choices because of their sense of smell.
Nope. Never.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Never . either. But the moment CC says," I'm not stepping up till you take a shower" I'll take it under consideration.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think for some birds, their nose and sense of smell is different. Perhaps like a persons but they aren't bothered by bad odors or pungent aromas unless it physically harms them. But birds like vultures, crows, other carrion and meat eaters surely have an amazing sense of smell!!

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
One winter we turned on the furnace without replacing the filter, & Nicky SC yelled his little yellow head off--I think because it was a smell he didn't recognize & was warning us of possible danger. He doesn't seem to recognize yummy (to me) smells,:huh: but crinkle a chip bag--wow! And, no offense, but he doesn't seem to notice bad bathroom smells. :eek:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would be very difficult to determine if any of our birds did not eat a particular food that it was because of smell and not appearance. We have offered the same food in difference ways though, like broccoli for example. We end up offering it cooked or raw. Each one is different when it comes to how they accept it and eat it. Could be appearance, could be smell, could be texture. Not sure.

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
So, anybody here feel a sense of guilt and shame for exposing your birds to unnecessary bad smells - like morning breath - because you felt confident they could not smell it THAT much

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
It would be very difficult to determine if any of our birds did not eat a particular food that it was because of smell and not appearance. We have offered the same food in difference ways though, like broccoli for example. We end up offering it cooked or raw. Each one is different when it comes to how they accept it and eat it. Could be appearance, could be smell, could be texture. Not sure.
could be all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.