• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel so bad, so guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel like a terrible parront. :(
I yelled at Wasabi today. I can't even remember the last time I yelled at him. Probably two years ago.

It's no excuse, but I was in pain and trying to rush making their (him and 2 tiels) supper so I could give his beak something to do and he'd stop yelling.) He charged and lunged when I removed the bowls.
I gave him the glare and NO!

Before that, I was trying to watch TV and he screamed. I left the room. He stopped for a minute and started again when I returned. Three times this went on.

I really do need ear muffs or something. While he is being quiet, I'll sit either right next to him to discourage the screeching or very close by. Helps a little.

In the morning I keep him covered up while I give meds to the tiels and clean up their homes and feed them. He screams through that, too, if uncovered, as I am making breakfast or supper.

I feel terrible. Just awful. :(

Help?

P.S. I have positive news: his bloodwork is fine. So that's one bird out of three with good levels. I'll take it.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I feel like a terrible parront. :(
I yelled at Wasabi today. I can't even remember the last time I yelled at him. Probably two years ago.

It's no excuse, but I was in pain and trying to rush making their (him and 2 tiels) supper so I could give his beak something to do and he'd stop yelling.) He charged and lunged when I removed the bowls.
I gave him the glare and NO!

Before that, I was trying to watch TV and he screamed. I left the room. He stopped for a minute and started again when I returned. Three times this went on.

I really do need ear muffs or something. While he is being quiet, I'll sit either right next to him to discourage the screeching or very close by. Helps a little.

In the morning I keep him covered up while I give meds to the tiels and clean up their homes and feed them. He screams through that, too, if uncovered, as I am making breakfast or supper.

I feel terrible. Just awful. :(

Help?
Don't beat yourself up, you are human after all:hug8:

Have your tried station training him? That is what I did with my regent. He runs down to try and get my hands when I feed him, but I taught him to go sit on a certain perch while I do his feeding. It works beautifully. You jsut have to reward with something VERY high value when on that area.

Have you tried reinforcing Wasabi for sounds you do like? Reinforce with food and/or your attention any sounds you like such as whistles, talking or singing.

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
Awwwww..... don't feel bad, Terri :hug8: You didn't yell at your baby maliciously. I can certainly relate to how you feel though. I yelled at Akando a while back because he kept biting me over and over again when I had him on my shoulder and my neck just couldn't take it anymore and all he'd do was to laugh at me every time I said no to him.

But seriously though, don't kick yourself. You're not feeling well. With all this said, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon :hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hey Terri, don't feel so bad. We all have our moments, it happens. :hug8:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Awww, your not a bad parront, your human. If we could keep keep from getting stressed all of the time we would be perfect. Brigid is very right...we all have moments. ;)

I hope you and the tiels are feeling better soon!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He knows that you love him from everything that you do all of the time.

Matt

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
HEY, it was a one of...no biggie and take it easy on yourself honey:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You aren't a bad parront...don't be hard on yourself.:)

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
i do not think there is one bird owner who has not yelled at their bird once or twice so let yourself off the hook now. We would not be human if our emotions and stress issues did not get the better of us sometimes.
Living in an apt. my tactics when Nelly screams are not the best. I need her to be quiet and not disturb the neighbors. So pine nuts are my saving grace. It usually quiets her long enough so she forgets what she was screaming about. In the am when you are doing the teils maybe try uncovering Wasabi and talking to him making part of the routine. Ask him if he wants to help etc.
When all else fails take drugs,stick your head under a pillow(kidding) or go sit outside and enjoy nature.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw you are not a bad parront. You just had a moment and we all have those.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Terri, we have all been there! You are an excellent parront. I might suggest that you put Wasai in asleep cage, covered in another room with door closed. That way he is not distirbed or stressed over the morning routine preparation. When you fill his food bowls bring him out to his day cage. This worked with Sammy. He is silent till I bring him out and he is behaving very well. Just a suggestion.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, everyone. I still feel guilty. :(

Last night I had a bad dream that Wasabi chewed his way out of his cage and disappeared. Unless he is Jaws, that is not possible.

Don't beat yourself up, you are human after all:hug8:

Have your tried station training him? That is what I did with my regent. He runs down to try and get my hands when I feed him, but I taught him to go sit on a certain perch while I do his feeding. It works beautifully. You jsut have to reward with something VERY high value when on that area.

Have you tried reinforcing Wasabi for sounds you do like? Reinforce with food and/or your attention any sounds you like such as whistles, talking or singing.
I had him trained to stay on the main upper perch while I clean the bottom of the cage. He gets a seed ball for that. It's the only time he gets the seed ball. It worked for a long time. Then for some reason, that stopped working and now he climbs to the holder ( seed ball still in his mouth) that holds the food bowl in place, which is directly above my head as I clean his floor of his cage. (He also now won't voluntarily move when I tell him to step up from where he sits on the food bowl. I have to take it out and make him move.)

(Maybe that's not a great idea. Maybe I should go about cleaning other stuff and wait until he climbs off on his own?)

Once he is on the perch above my head, he already has the seed ball, so I cannot take it away from him and tell him to go back to the main perch if he moves to the other perch.

Wasabi does get rewarded with "Good bird, good bird!!!" and pine nuts when he makes a trill like whistle. I'll whistle back or speak to him when he makes any other good whistle or sound.

I love him dearly, but there are days when he really tests my patience.

Hey, Diane, I'll ask Wasabi if he wants to help this morning! :hehe:

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thank you, everyone. I still feel guilty. :(

Last night I had a bad dream that Wasabi chewed his way out of his cage and disappeared. Unless he is Jaws, that is not possible.

I had him trained to stay on the main upper perch while I clean the bottom of the cage. He gets a seed ball for that. It's the only time he gets the seed ball. It worked for a long time. Then for some reason, that stopped working and now he climbs to the holder ( seed ball still in his mouth) that holds the food bowl in place, which is directly above my head as I clean his floor of his cage. (He also now won't voluntarily move when I tell him to step up from where he sits on the food bowl. I have to take it out and make him move.)

(Maybe that's not a great idea. Maybe I should go about cleaning other stuff and wait until he climbs off on his own?)

Once he is on the perch above my head, he already has the seed ball, so I cannot take it away from him and tell him to go back to the main perch if he moves to the other perch.

Wasabi does get rewarded with "Good bird, good bird!!!" and pine nuts when he makes a trill like whistle. I'll whistle back or speak to him when he makes any other good whistle or sound.

I love him dearly, but there are days when he really tests my patience.

Hey, Diane, I'll ask Wasabi if he wants to help this morning! :hehe:
Ok, that's good, so he has the idea. What about switching and trying different treats or using a foraging toy with his seed ball in it so he has to work at it for a while?

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
Oh you just sound stressed :hug8:
It happens...just breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth...is allll gooood!

Dont beat yourself up ;)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Been there, done that.

Stress can provoke that kind of reaction for whatever reason. Breathe.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a good idea about the foraging toy. He has the Four Drawers box. I'll see if I can place it somewhere workable.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I will admit I have done the same thing before and I felt terrible afterwords too. It is OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.