• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel like we've hit a deadend with recall training

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm usually really patient with how long it takes my boys to learn new things, but it feels like Raiju and I have been stuck at the same level for a couple of months now.
He only recalls from a few feet away. When I'm close enough he doesn't hesitate at all, and will stay on my finger for awhile so I know he's no loner scared of my hands. But when I'm too far, it's almost like he's not sure if I'm talking to him or not. He will lean like he's about to fly to me, but then looks away... same energy as him thinking I waved to him at first then realized I waved to someone else :roflmao:

I'm not sure why he does this. Him and Phoenix have different recall commands to avoid confusion, and he listens perfectly fine if I'm within like five feet, any further and he gets hesitant and never comes. Phoenix comes to me from anywhere, I'm confident if Phoenix got out somehow I'd be able to get him back with ease... Raiju not so much.

Is this a normal part of the training process? Or am I doing something wrong?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Merlin and Percy have a thousand tiny things that change their response to recall. For the past few weeks, Merlin has stopped landing on my bed (or he lands but won't run up to me like he usually does), and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm keeping both windows open and he's seen more starlings through the blinds than usual.

I have been introducing them to the rest of the apartment, too, and some days they are really interested in this-- other days they are way too nervous. I dunno, mine make it very clear when they don't want me to take them somewhere because they are busy doing their own thing.

Do you wait for a time that he's really quite hungry? That's made the only real difference for me.