• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel like a failure and need some advice

rickythebi

Moving in
Thank you again everyone. @MnGuy I have been seeing a therapist the past few months and I think it is helping me deal with everything and realize that I may not be able to fully care for Ricky in the future. I will probably start a new thread in Bird Boulevard once I talk to my family this weekend and see what their opinion is too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Technically, what Ricky needs may not necessarily be *MORE* attention, but rather, *MORE* independence. If he's relying on humans so much to stay happy, then he needs to know how to be more independent. He needs to fulfill his own needs and desires without relying on humans so much.

This is more along the lines of independent play, foraging and keeping himself busy. If he could be taught to wear a harness, then going for a walk with him outside may also be a great way to expand his world.

Training new behaviors can also be a fun way to engage his mind. Trick training, in other words! Target training, station training, turn around, 'big eagle', dance, shake head yes/no, stick out tongue, roll over (sideways or forward), fetch, etc. These behaviors can keep his mind thinking and help 'tire' him out, mentally speaking.

I would urge you to speak with someone such as Barbara Heidenreich, Lara Joseph, Pamela Clark or anyone of their caliber. However, I would urge you to avoid Bird Tricks and Parrot Wizard. (not near the same level as the first three I mentioned)