• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel defeated. My Astro is barbering his feathers at 9 month old.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Astro is an eight month old African Grey. At 3 months of age when I got him, I was going to be Astro's third home already when he was being given up on by a guy who had only had him for about two months. He had many stress bars on his feathers when I got him. He was taken off some of his feedings by this person, and naturally started refusing the last one before the evening feeding, as the guy told me. He came to me on one feeding per day. He had never been clipped, thankfully. I never put him back on more feedings. I feel so much shame. I thought he was doing fine. He is still far from weaning.

I am abundance weaning him. He eats chop in the mornings that I rotate. I plan the recipes carefully to include all kinds of things and he eats it all no problem. He gets additional things in foraging balls and skewers and other things like sage sticks, rosemary hidden between leaves, a small slice of lemon every now and then and other enriching and nutritious things. The only thing is that he eats Versele Laga pellets that do have sugar in them. It has been difficult to find proper pellets in Turkey but I have finally found what I think is very close to Harrisons in ingredients. I think they actually copied the recipe.

He has a variety of foraging toys, in fact, I hide little bits and seeds all over his cage and chewing toys. He gets a completely new cage setup every week which he gets very excited about. He plays a lot in his cage. He especially loves his puzzle toys where he spins and pulls and pushes to get the pellets out. He got so good at them so quickly that I keep trying to invent new ways to make those puzzles harder! He spends about 4 hours a day in his cage and we do maybe 5 training sessions a day. This has almost always been the case. I especially make time for recall practice to exercise him. He is so quick to pick up all the tricks. He already has words on cue.

He has climbing areas, ropes and trees in the house and seems to be occupied with these things most of the time. When I first noticed he was barbering his feathers on the lower right side of his body above his leg, I realised how stupid I was to let him hang out with us until 12 at night. He only got 8 hours of sleep every night. So we fixed that. He now goes to sleep at 20:30 and wakes up at 8:30. He sleeps in a small travel cage with a cover in complete darkness in the other room with the door closed. He goes in this cage and his main cage without any problem.

We don't smoke. Our house is bright although he doesn't get much direct sunlight unless we take him out once a week. He can be fussy about bathing, but I try to at least mist him once a week. We are working on this, and I was able to bathe him thoroughly, I literally soaked him with the hose this past week.

His cage is a large one but it is still a cage. I am planning to divide our large room to give him quite a bit of space. He has a couple of snipped feathers on his chest now too. 2 days ago my boyfriend found a single tiny feather at the bottom of his cage. It was the size of maybe half a pinky nail, teeny tiny but a real feather. I don't want to believe this but I think it is happening.

There was no way for this bird to not pluck. Being re-homed twice in the first 3 months of his life, taken off feedings without his choice, no real bird parents and even if for 5 hours a day, he is stuck in a cage. Not that he complains, but poor bird is not even weaned and he is turning 9 months. I feel so sad for him. I love him so much. I am taking him to the best vet in Istanbul this weekend and I will get everything checked from head to toe. I have just read about a parrot screaming every time it plucks a feather out and I bawled my eyes out. Is this true? Do parrots scream as they pluck their feathers? This gives me chills deep down. I can't get it out of my head. Last night I had a dream where I had a bird research centre in my garden. I don't even have a garden, all I have is a terrace. I will do everything I can for Astro to give him a happy life in captivity. I had made a checklist and I'm close to getting everything better, especially if I can do this aviary thing quickly before the problem escalates. So many of the birds I see on forums have feather destruction problems of some sort. No matter how diligent we are, we don't deserve these birds. They just don't thrive in captivity.

Look at this beauty. What an angel.

IMG-20200410-WA0011.jpeg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Don't panic yet! Wait to see what the vet can tell you. Is he molting?

I can't say enough about Pam Clark. She does video consulting at an extremely affordable rate.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I think I read the long article by her that is stickied on this board or was that by someone else? In amy case I will check her out. I am more than willing to get consult.

Also, can someone please tell me if it is true that parrots let out a screech with every feather they pluck? I can't get this out of my head it is haunting me.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hmm no i dont think so?

Plucking can have so many reasons, its sometimes very hard to discover why just be patient, and keep calm :)
Even your own stress level could be the cause :)

Just love the little bugger, we’ll help you ;)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think I read the long article by her that is stickied on this board or was that by someone else? In amy case I will check her out. I am more than willing to get consult.

Also, can someone please tell me if it is true that parrots let out a screech with every feather they pluck? I can't get this out of my head it is haunting me.
Some do, yes. Your bird isn't there yet! Barbering is a little different from plucking.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It is so nice to have everyone on this forum, it is what I turn to every time I get sucked into these thoughts.

The screaming though, I don't know how I would cope if such a thing happens. I don't know how to describe but my throat tightens when I think of this I don't know how I'm going to get it out of my head. I'm truly traumatised.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
With your care and love I'm sure your baby will weather his poor start and start to bloom.
One thing I'd suggest is while changing his cage around weekly, leave his favorite high perch in the same spot so something's always in the same place, safe and familiar.
Birds often get stressed if their environment can't be counted on to stay similar.
My Too plucks, she doesn't scream. She's been plucking for years. Once in a blue moon I'd hear a squawk out of her if she's just pulled a stubborn one. I'm sure some can, but I think many don't.
Just offer a stable, calm and loving environment.
Give your baby time to realize life is good and not anything to worry about losing.
And That's a gorgeous photo!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I can't wrap my head around how much worry and stress they must be feeling that they want to do such a thing that hurts them so much they scream. I will do as suggested and always keep a perch as it is. I'm even willing to go as far as getting a companion for him if my research shows that it is a good idea.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Has he been vetted since he started barbering? Infections can cause a bird to want to pluck.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Hi would take him to the vet ASAP to lower physical problems including metal poisoning and parasites oh have had five pluckers and not one of them screamed

Mendo Conu

Moving in
Real Name
Jody
My little conures are constantly grooming themselves and each other. I find feathers everywhere. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are concerned follow the advice of seeing a vet. If anything it will ease your mind as well as get a relationship started with that beautiful bird and his doc.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Has he been vetted since he started barbering? Infections can cause a bird to want to pluck.
We are going tomorrow, I have contacted the best avian vet in Istanbul and getting every possible test done. His right leg clicks when he reaches far and the first barbered feathers appeared in that area and are mostly there. I hope it is something physical and easily treatable. He is also getting his own room next week, and then an even larger area sectioned for him in probably about a month.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hi would take him to the vet ASAP to lower physical problems including metal poisoning and parasites oh have had five pluckers and not one of them screamed
Going tomorrow! Getting all the tests done that they offer. I have seen something like a blood test from a feather shaft on the forums before. What exactly is that do you know? I'd like to have that done as well, I'll tell the vet when we go.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Hope everything goes well at the vet tomorrow. Interesting that the barbering started in the area of his right leg. I wonder if it is feeling uncomfortable in some way?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
The only test that I know of being done on the blood of a Feather iS DNA I do not much about blood test. @Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tests can be done on the base of the feather to determine if there is an infection. Hopefully your vet will perform a culture and sensitivity on feather bases.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If his leg is clicking you will definitely want to have an xray done. He could have a problem there and is plucking due to pain from it. Laser therapy is very useful in these types of issues.

This can be a long frustrating search for his problem, so settle in and give him lots of love and no stress.