• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I fed my alexandrine lettuce

Arion

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Arion
Hi, I fed my alex lettuce and I found out after it can be really bad for them he only had about a whole leaf but should I be concerned?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
What kind of lettuce? As long as it was washed well, and not contaminated by something nasty, most lettuces are ok. You don't want to make an entire meal of just lettuce (you want other safe veggies as well).

Arion

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Arion
iceberg lettuce, he had it with strawberries and bananas and those are what he mainly ate.

thanks.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Iceberg is mainly water and very low in nutritional value but I don't think it will hurt him. I don't even eat Iceberg myself, Green or Red maybe Boston better for you and taste better too.

By the way you don't want to feed him too much leaf Spinach as it has way to much iron for a steady diet, a little from time to time won't hurt but don't feed daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Green, red, or Romaine lettuce have more nutrition than iceberg. Spinach is also high in oxalates, so it would be best as an occasional treat. See if your bird will eat any of the other lettuces...

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Iceberg is mainly water and very low in nutritional value but I don't think it will hurt him. I don't even eat Iceberg myself, Green or Red maybe Lead Boston better for you and taste better too.

By the way you don't want to feed him too much leaf Spinach as it has way to much iron for a steady diet, a little from time to time won't hurt but don't feed daily.

I have no idea where the LEAD came from. Please don't feed you bird lead.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you used your smartphone, sometimes the predictive can suggest words, and tapping will write the word in the comment.
Would you like it removed from your original post?