• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know which baby bird to choose.

SCC

Moving in
I've been looking for a baby conure to purchases and found two options which I like but don't know which one to chooses. One is a single factor violet green cheek the other is a crimson bellied. The single factor violet green cheek is a DNA sexed male, 15 weeks old but nippy (which I know is normal for green cheeks). I was originally going to buy him but the breeder couldn't hold and also the breeder said that they wouldn't have time to keep him tame (also note that both the single factor violet green cheek and crimson bellied where hand reared from 2 weeks). This turned me of them and I began to looked for other breeders. Then I found this really nice breeder selling these beautiful crimson bellied. The issue is they are only 7 weeks old (they would be 8 weeks by the time I get them). The breeder says that they are eating solid food now (he was feeding them vet farm, I believed it was the multicolored variety) but I am quite worried that this is way to young but, I have grown attached to the baby crimsons and like I said before the breed is very nice. So I am in quite of a mental dilemma and don't know what to do, I have grown really attached to the crimsons and have come a bit detached to the green cheek but still I am worried about bring home a 8 week old bird. What should I do?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Definitely of go with the crimson.
Babies wesn at different times. With a great breeder offering stuff from a young age sbd doing abundance weaning, they can wesn as early as six weeks.

My green cheek was st the let store by 9 weeks .

My quaker baby who i got t from a breeder weaned st ,6 weeks!!!! I'd Been in touch with her following his progress sbd getting updates , we had thought 8 weeks maybe even longer . But the clutch weaned early. She'd been offer foods from 3 weeks on. She shoeed me videos of him refusing hdnd feeding sbd eating in his own. So I said ok and come to get him ( 3 htr drive,,)! I was prepared with formula Incase he reverted sbd I've had experience hdnd feeding. But nope he truly was fully weaned and never wanted formula.

But three are some little differences between crimson and gcc . I'll get and attach the info we have here.

If you really prefer a gcc , then wait to find one you connect with. If your connected with the crimson then go fit it I ssy

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I voted the Crimson belly!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had both species and in my experience they are both a sweet and gentle loving species. In this case I'd go with the Crimson,if he's weaned at 8 weeks that's well in the range of acceptable especially if he's being weaned properly.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I vote Crimson :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My vote is to adopt a species that needs a home.

ChaosInNY

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tom
My vote, after you read up on the differences is to go with the one that speaks to your heart. If it doesn't, then are you really doing the bird any favors?

I see the Crimson in your future!

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I agree with everyone else! Crimson!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two of the most gorgous cheekies that both got hand reared and tamed the breeder was unable to keep them tame/hand feed them etc.
I would go with the cheekie one of mine is the sweetest talks and is very bold, the other not as confident but massively independent steps up when it suits her, will go back in her cage when i ask her to cos she only likes hands when she likes hands.

It can be challenging when you get a cheekie that doesnt like hands or isnt as tame, but is also exceptionally rewarding when they do step up, they do take a treat from you, they do fly to you.

Lifes not a sprint it's a marathon with time and a bit of patience you will have a good relationship with a cheekie.

I will be absolutely transparent i love cheekies that is all the experience i have with birds, but the bird not being tame means nothing bit of time is all thats needed.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vote is to adopt a species that needs a home.
I didnt see this post before i replied, there are so many cheekies need homes, dont let him/her being tame put you off.
I would hazard a guess not a huge amount of crimson babies available v gcc

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I am partial to crimson bellied. ;) They are known to be less nippy than GCCs, and they are a bit quieter in my experience as someone who has owned both. No matter which you choose, you are sure to have a fun new companion.

SCC

Moving in
Definitely of go with the crimson.
Babies wesn at different times. With a great breeder offering stuff from a young age sbd doing abundance weaning, they can wesn as early as six weeks.

My green cheek was st the let store by 9 weeks .

My quaker baby who i got t from a breeder weaned st ,6 weeks!!!! I'd Been in touch with her following his progress sbd getting updates , we had thought 8 weeks maybe even longer . But the clutch weaned early. She'd been offer foods from 3 weeks on. She shoeed me videos of him refusing hdnd feeding sbd eating in his own. So I said ok and come to get him ( 3 htr drive,,)! I was prepared with formula Incase he reverted sbd I've had experience hdnd feeding. But nope he truly was fully weaned and never wanted formula.

But three are some little differences between crimson and gcc . I'll get and attach the info we have here.

If you really prefer a gcc , then wait to find one you connect with. If your connected with the crimson then go fit it I ssy
I like them both I'm just worried if I make the wrong decision. I have had budgies before and still have one right now but I was young when I got them and my father knew some breeders so we bought them off them. This is my first time looking for a breeder and I just want to make sure I am getting a bird form the best breeder possible. What I forgot to add on the original post is that my biggest concerns about getting the baby crimson is if I bring it home and it regresses back to needing to be hand feed (I have no experience hand feeding and would not have the time) and the difficulty I might have switching the baby crimson for a tropical colourful pellets to Top's pellets but I am really considering the crimson bellied.