• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I don't know what to do :(

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Hey guys

I have two parakeets: Aster (Male, around 2 y/o) & Moon (Male, I think around 1 y/o)
Around November, Moon started showing signs of fluffiness and lethargy as well as abnormal liquid/green droppings, I have been through this rodeo before with my previous bird, Lola, who passed away last year around the age of 10-11 y/os. So I rushed him to the vet in hopes of them figuring out what was wrong since it came out of the blue but he was still eating, drinking, etc; Unfortunately, due to COVID, we aren't allowed to go inside the clinic so I had to wait outside as they inspected Moon. They handed him back to me saying that they weren't sure what was wrong with him and that I should just try working on his diet (since they said he was a little bit skinny) and to send him back again if he doesn't get better.
So I tried fixing his diet, he has a habit of preferring his millet treats which concerned me, and tried different ways to convince him to eat his other food, which he showed slight improvement and was more active, less fluffy, but still wouldn't rely on his seeds/pellets as food when millet is around ( i only try to change his millet 1-2 a day but he goes to the bottom of the cage to eat its crumbs but I'm worried if I get rid of it completely, he won't eat at all). However, as weeks went by, I noticed he started gaining an overgrown beak, and at some point, he struck himself accidentally against the wall, which he seemed okay at first but now..I'm not too sure because ever since that, he's been getting seizures. I don't know how long it has been going on since he is really good at hiding it due to him putting his head in his back to control himself until at some point I saw him struggling to stay on his perch and started jerking. It was terrifying seeing all of that happen, and I am planning to get him an appointment soon to figure out what happened but is there any way of making him comfortable in the meanwhile? Or ways to prevent him from relying so heavily on the millet? I'm scared that he doesn't have much longer.

Now for my other bird Aster, I'm concerned as well. He wasn't showing signs of illness when I first sent Moon to the vet or else I would've gotten him checked out as well. However, recently his nails have turned black (though, they are slightly going away?) and he has a patch of brown on his beak. I have never seen that happen before with my budgies, I thought maybe it was bruising but also was worried if it has something to do with nutrition as he also prefers his millet and is giving abnormal droppings (his aren't liquidity compared to moon's but they're slightly green/black). Yet, he isn't fluffy and is relatively active but I am planning to take him to the vet as well to make sure about his well-being, but I still wanted input on what it could possibly be and if I should be concerned.

This is all super overwhelming for me because I never had parakeets sick this quickly before, especially since my other bird lived for a very long time and these guys are still young. I'm worried Moon will have to be hospitalized, which I won't be able to afford since getting a check-up on two birds and the addition of medicine is super expensive. I am a broke college student who doesn't have a source of income and my mom usually helps me pay for treatments but she said she as well can't afford to hospitalize Moon if it came to that scenario. I am trying to get this insurance policy for birds that my dad possibly has, but I don't know how long it will take to get it so I don't know if I should go to the vet till I get insurance or go immediately.

I'm a bit depressed because I feel so guilty that things turned out this way and there is a possibility of not being able to treat them properly. I wish there was more I could do and the thought of them dying makes it harder for me to sleep since it was pretty traumatizing watching Lola pass away. Is there anything on my end that I could do to help or does anyone have ideas on what they might have? :( I can send pictures as well if that'll help give a better idea.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry. I too well know the pain of having a sick bird and feeling helpless > I wish I had some insight or suggestions.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
I'm so sorry. I too well know the pain of having a sick bird and feeling helpless > I wish I had some insight or suggestions.
It's okay! Knowing others have probably experienced similar pain and your presence enough is comforting. I'm just trying to spend as much time as I can with them in the meanwhile.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry you're having issues with your birds. Perhaps @Ripshod might have some suggestions.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
First thing I would do is stop the millet. Clean the cage out at the same time so there's nothing to forage for and give them just seed for a while. They go for the millet because it's tasty and very easy to eat. If there's no millet they'll go for the next best thing - the seed. They won't starve themselves.
Black nails? Can we have a photo? It's common for budgies'feet and nails to darken as they mature, especially the blues and greys.
The fluffing may be because of a general lack of energy from their diet. As the vet couldn't find anything specific we'll just have to see.
It's great that you love them, but sometimes the love has to get a little tougher. They certainly can't go on as they are.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just for your information. If you buy insurance after they have been seen for an illness that insurance will not be effective for the illness they have been seen for.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
First thing I would do is stop the millet. Clean the cage out at the same time so there's nothing to forage for and give them just seed for a while. They go for the millet because it's tasty and very easy to eat. If there's no millet they'll go for the next best thing - the seed. They won't starve themselves.
Black nails? Can we have a photo? It's common for budgies'feet and nails to darken as they mature, especially the blues and greys.
The fluffing may be because of a general lack of energy from their diet. As the vet couldn't find anything specific we'll just have to see.
It's great that you love them, but sometimes the love has to get a little tougher. They certainly can't go on as they are.
Hello! Thank you for the response.
I will be sure to stop giving them millet and clean any millet crumbs out to see if they will go towards the seed bowl now!

Here's a picture of his beak and nails (I know they need to be cut! But I was wary about cutting them because of the black stuff and didn't want to risk anything) ! Hopefully this helps

Attachments

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Can you tell us what their complete diet consists of?
Ah yeah I was aware of the insurance not being effective if I take them to the vet beforehand, but if it's an urgent matter between the two birds I will take them regardless and apply for the insurance for future purposes! Thank you for telling me though:)

I originally was giving them this daily blend by Wild Harvest because that's what I gave my previous birds which seemed to suit them well, I would also mix it with Harrison's bird food pellet. Around lunchtime though, I would give them veggies + fruits and rice depending on what I had and would switch back to the seed bowl once the fruits/veggies/rice dried out.

Currently, I have been mixing their Wild Harvest blend and pellets with Dr Harvey's seed mix as I heard it's a pretty good brand and want to switch to that as their main seed diet. I just began doing this a week ago though so its a work in progress because they can pretty much tell i added something different and would refuse to touch the bowl at first because of it, but as i put less inside they seem okay with it.

Even though I did this, they still didn't gravitate towards the bowl unless it was rice or millet was present so need to get them off that first to see how they react towards the meal.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
From the photos I think we can rule out trauma. The marks on the beak are too well defined to be bruising.
That leaves us with either a dietary deficiency or damage from a fungal infection a while ago.
Millet and rice are very lacking in nutrition. They make great fillers but have no real value in a diet for parakeets so only stop budgies feeling hungry. Don't give either of them any more. Your budgie won't starve itself.
As an aside rice has been known to carry fungal spores.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just wanted to add I've seen this with liver disease. Maybe you could ask your vet about this?

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
From the photos I think we can rule out trauma. The marks on the beak are too well defined to be bruising.
That leaves us with either a dietary deficiency or damage from a fungal infection a while ago.
Millet and rice are very lacking in nutrition. They make great fillers but have no real value in a diet for parakeets so only stop budgies feeling hungry. Don't give either of them any more. Your budgie won't starve itself.
As an aside rice has been known to carry fungal spores.
Oh no! I didn't know rice has fungal spores D: I did remove giving them rice back when Moon started showing signs of illness so they haven't had it in a while. I also did end up removing all sources of millet and its safe to say they are finally going to the bowl now thank you! But yeah, I'll be sure to ask the vet if it is potentially a disease or an infection. If it seems to be dietary, would he get medications for that? Not sure what happens in that scenario.

Here's a picture of the other bird who I believe is the one that might have trauma in the head since he's been having seizures (Moon), you can kind of see that he is slightly fluffy and has an overgrown beak. Can parakeets have seizures due to dietary reasons? Because I'm not sure how hard the wall impacted his head and if it's actually the source of his seizures (will probably ask the vet too about this). He also has been aggressively preening himself which seemed a bit odd to me and didn't know what to make of it. Aster (the white bird) hasn't been showing any other symptoms of illness other than his brownish beak/black nails.

I plan to make an appointment with the vet today so crossing my fingers all goes well.

I have also been putting a tiny spoonful of apple cider into their water dish since I heard that's pretty good for them as well. I'm just not sure how often I should do this though. Any recommendations? Thank you again for responding!

Attachments

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Hey guys!

Just an update since I went to the vet this morning :)
The vet told me they both have fatty liver disease hence the whole overgrown beak on Moon, brown/blackness on Aster's nails and beak etc; And gave me advice on how to handle it from there! Thank you for all your help.
It seems like the role of millet and how they were bred (since my parents got them from Petco) plays a factor in their symptoms and they may have sadly had this disease from the first time I got them.
They still aren't too sure about Moon's seizures and want video footage of it before making the call of him needing medications etc; So i will let you guys know if anything else does end up happening, but all of it seems like focusing on their diet and adding this specific powder they recommended to contain the disease.
Thank you again for your time :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can I ask what the powder is that you’ve been given for them?

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Can I ask what the powder is that you’ve been given for them?
It's an avian formula called Milk Thistle + Dandelion Root. The other option was to have actual liquid medication to help contain their liver disease, however, they suggested the powder instead since they don't want to traumatize (neither do i) my budgies by forcefully holding and medicating them as my budgies aren't comfortable and panic easily being held.

They also told me to use Harrison's bird foods mash since my birds aren't too fond of the pellets as well as flaxseed/flaxseed oil (which i haven't bought yet) since they said it helps decrease the level of "bad" fats in the blood.

They advised me to only give these powders once a day and practically for the rest of their lives. Here is the picture of the Milk Thistle formula to give you a better idea!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for that picture and info. I have only heard of that being in liquid form, good to know it comes in powder form also.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Thanks for that picture and info. I have only heard of that being in liquid form, good to know it comes in powder form also.
Yeah of course! I only heard about the liquid form as well, so glad they made a powder version of it!