• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what to do

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
We just found our septic tank backed up, and it caused mold to grow. We think it's black mold, so we had no choice but to bleach it. Luckily it's in the basement, and my parrots are locked in a room on the second floor. I opened a window, and have a fan on. My air purifier broke on me, so I don't have that. I'm still worried about my cockatiels. They haven't been in the basement, so I don't think that will affect them. Do you think they will be alright? there is no where else they can stay, I would get them boarded for a few days, but it's been over six months since they've been to the vet and I can't get them in on such sort notice.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Black mold is very dangerous not only for our feathered buddies but for humans as well. You said that you have fan going... In bird room??? Is it intake?exhaust? If it's exhaust through the room reverse it please. Exhaust will possibly suck mold into the room. You want fresh air as much as possible. As soon as possible.

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
it's just a fan going to circulate the air, and i made sure it's safe if they were to go over to it they won't get hurt. i also turn it off if i leave the room. we tarped off the room, and are having professionals come to clean it tomorrow. we were able to kill most of the mold, and it wasn't on the walls, only on the floor. i have to leave the house for several hours tomorrow, i'm nervous to leave them but i know it will be alright, since they are far away from it and air will be circulating all day. it's been there for a few days, and we just noticed it but since we killed most of it i think it will be fine, it makes me nervous because there is no way to avoid using chemicals, like bleach, to kill it. like i said, the birds are far away so it will be fine (i hope, i know it will but a small part of me is still very nervous)

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry you are dealing with mold. I had a nightmare mold situation years ago. We had to board the birds and stay in a hotel while the mold was remediated. We were lucky we could do it. Mold was also in the basement.

If you have the resources to do so, find a company to test for mold when possible. Mold is insidious. You have to watch it very closely so it does not come back. if you can, get a dehumidifier for the basement. Did you have to throw out some possessions? Almost everything had to be thrown out here - carpet, paneling, holiday decorations, the few things I had from grade school and college, clothes…..it was terrible. Can you keep a light on in the basement, at least some of the time? Mold loves moisture and the dark.

I wish you the best of luck.