• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I dont know what to do anymore

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
I posted on here probably about 2 weeks ago. My parrolet was having breathing problems I noticed so made a avian appointment immediately. He told me he has a bad respiratory infection that has been going on for some time now, but he just started to show it. He gave me baytril to give him morning and nights, with some vitamins to add into his water and a steriod to add to a gallon of drinking water. Everyone told me not to give him the steroids cause they're not good for them so i stopped. I continued with the baytril all though he got sick from it once after giving it to him on a empty stomach ( I know it was dumb, I didn't know) I went back for the check up after a week and he said he's not recovering with the baytril so gave me doxycycline to give him morning and night and a little more steriods to add into his water which I haven't given to him. He seems to be getting worse and every single time we give him his medication he gasps for air and he can't breath for like a hour. Am I aspirating him?! I have looked up videos and have been seeing how yo proplery give it to him. He fights me and me and my fiance try as best as we can to get it in his mouth. But he keeps not being able to breath and hisi breathing is getting worse. I can't stop breaking down. I don't want to lose my bird. He also recently started losing so kuch feathers I don't know if it's cause it's molting season or from being sick? I just don't know what to do anymore. His vet is 3 hours one way its the closest bird vet I could find they have good reviews so I went for this one. It's not easy to get back and forth but I'm trying to do everything i can.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
I am so sorry you are going through this. Have you tried giving him the meds on a small berry of millet or favorite treat? I have heard of some putting it on a bit of apple sauce even..

look up talkparrotlet.com. a website basically only for poets and lots of knowledgeable people. Between there and this site you should be able to get some help as to how to give him his meds…

all the best to you and your baby…

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
I am so sorry you are going through this. Have you tried giving him the meds on a small berry of millet or favorite treat? I have heard of some putting it on a bit of apple sauce even..

look up talkparrotlet.com. a website basically only for poets and lots of knowledgeable people. Between there and this site you should be able to get some help as to how to give him his meds…

all the best to you and your baby…
Thank you
Just noticed typo its

talkparrotlets.com
Thank you! I was going to call and see what the vet thinks about me giving it on food. Im going to go on that forum Thank you ❤
I am so sorry. I would try perhaps seeing if he would take the meds on food?

@Hankmacaw @Monica @Mizzely ?
Thank you ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d ask the vet if you can leave him there to ensure he’s getting full dose of meds.
If you mix meds with his food then I suggest definitely NOT using seed as your delivery system, the meds won’t all be consumed… meds will be on the outer husk of the seed which is removed by parrots so best to use something like bird bread, cooked rice, mash pellet or veg etc

Have you told the vet you chose not to use some of what was prescribed?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:iagree:

The steroids were prescribed for a reason, probably because they're proven to help (directly and indirectly) with the repair & recovery from long term conditions. You should discuss this with your vet.

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
Oh god should I use the steriods!? No I didn't tell him cause someone on here said steriods are bad for birds, that it can ruin their livers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh god should I use the steriods!? No I didn't tell him cause someone on here said steriods are bad for birds, that it can ruin their livers.
I’m sure your vet would have taken into account the risks and benefits. I would call your vet and tell them that you haven’t been administering a prescription and ask how to proceed from here.

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
I’m sure your vet would have taken into account the risks and benefits. I would call your vet and tell them that you haven’t been administering a prescription and ask how to proceed from here.
Thank you !

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All medications have some element of risk. Some very effective medications do have a risk of liver damage, but that's usually over time. I would personally listen to my vet over internet strangers. Of course some vets are better than others so you have you trust your vet, too.

The problems breathing after medication could be simply related to the respiratory infection.

I medicate using a small bit of warmed up baby food, on a small baby spoon, with the meds mixed in. Test with a small bit of the food first to make sure he'll eat it. I usually use sweet potatoes or carrots since it's naturally a bit sweeter. You could also use unsweetened applesauce.

Good luck :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a video about how to towel your small bird to medicate him. It is surest way to make certain they get the right dose and ot all that traumatic after the first two or three doses.

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
All medications have some element of risk. Some very effective medications do have a risk of liver damage, but that's usually over time. I would personally listen to my vet over internet strangers. Of course some vets are better than others so you have you trust your vet, too.

The problems breathing after medication could be simply related to the respiratory infection.

I medicate using a small bit of warmed up baby food, on a small baby spoon, with the meds mixed in. Test with a small bit of the food first to make sure he'll eat it. I usually use sweet potatoes or carrots since it's naturally a bit sweeter. You could also use unsweetened applesauce.

Good luck :hug8:
Thank you!! I will try that thank you so much

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
Here is a video about how to towel your small bird to medicate him. It is surest way to make certain they get the right dose and ot all that traumatic after the first two or three doses.

Thank you!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Milly, did the vet do any tests to see if the infection was bacterial or fungal in nature? (just to confirm)

My own vet prescribes medications for no less than 2 weeks at a time... and does a recheck after that period of time.

Some birds do take to the meds if mixed in with fruit juice, [greek] yogurt, baby food (veggies or fruits - no salt), or other similar items. You can also ask the vet if you can get the meds flavored differently.

If the vet is so far away, see if there's a pharmacy that the vet could send the prescription to that's closer to you?

I hope your bird is doing better! :sadhug2:

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
Milly, did the vet do any tests to see if the infection was bacterial or fungal in nature? (just to confirm)

My own vet prescribes medications for no less than 2 weeks at a time... and does a recheck after that period of time.

Some birds do take to the meds if mixed in with fruit juice, [greek] yogurt, baby food (veggies or fruits - no salt), or other similar items. You can also ask the vet if you can get the meds flavored differently.

If the vet is so far away, see if there's a pharmacy that the vet could send the prescription to that's closer to you?

I hope your bird is doing better! :sadhug2:
Thank you! He didn't do any tests he just said it was a bad respiratory infection that he had for awhile. He said it's cause his breathing and nose was closed up. He had him on baytril with the steriods added to water. I wasn't giving the steriods cause someone said not to, I brought him back a week later for the check up and he said he's still sick so he gave me doxycycline to give him for 2 weeks and I also started giving him the steriod water. When I would give him the doxycycline he would start throwing it up and wheezing. I don't know if I wasn't doing it right or he just didn't like it so was throwing it up? I now give it to him on quinoa cause its the only thing he will fully eat ..besides seed. I'm trying to get him off seed and onto pellets and fresh veggies/fruits. He was my brothers and he was raised on seed. His check up is next week. Im hoping he is better. The doxycycline is flavored banana but he still hates it and will fight it.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
In the future ask for a culture sensitivity test. They will see what the bacteria is sensitive too and what the best medication to use is.. you bird need supplemental heat to help recover. If you have fern I'd put it near(but where he can't get to it) his cage to help the air quality . On another form a member had very sick budgie and her vet prescribed her azithromycin. azithromycin was used be cause it's broad spectrum and they did not do any test on the budgie (vet prescribed over the phone- vet has seen this bird before). She also supplied supplemental heat and anything her budgie would eat (millet). Her budgie was pretty unresponsive and recovered quickly. I am sorry your budgie is sick :(

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
In the future ask for a culture sensitivity test. They will see what the bacteria is sensitive too and what the best medication to use is.. you bird need supplemental heat to help recover. If you have fern I'd put it near(but where he can't get to it) his cage to help the air quality . On another form a member had very sick budgie and her vet prescribed her azithromycin. azithromycin was used be cause it's broad spectrum and they did not do any test on the budgie (vet prescribed over the phone- vet has seen this bird before). She also supplied supplemental heat and anything her budgie would eat (millet). Her budgie was pretty unresponsive and recovered quickly. I am sorry your budgie is sick :(
Thank you! I will make sure to ask them. I run the heat but it doesn't get super hot for him, so I went and got a delonghi oil filled heater. I seen everyone say it was bird safe so I went with that one. I have had it on. It's a week now into the doxycycline and I don't know if it's working or not. Sometimes he seems okay, but I know birds hide illness.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Millymb23 is there any way you can get a second opinion from another vet?

If this is possible, take all medical records with you so they've got a bit of a history!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Millymb23 - I wanted to make you aware that I was the person who mentioned that steroids aren't good for birds. This is what you said about my post, " Oh god should I use the steriods!? No I didn't tell him cause someone on here said steriods are bad for birds, that it can ruin their livers."

This is what I actually said.
"Monitor him closely. Try to give him the meds again - they are all that is between him and the infection. Baytril is known to upset the digestive system of a bird, so make sure he eats before administering the Baytril.

Keep your bird warm and as quiet as possible until you can talk to your vet. Perhaps setting up a hospital cage would be beneficial.

Did he actually regurgitate or vomit?

How are you giving the Baytril? By injection or by mouth? Are you toweling him?
Check that you made the solution of steroids correctly, per instrructions.

My vet almost never gives a bird steroids. They lower the immune system and cause stomach ulcers and are very hard on the liver. Check with your vet on why he is giving steroids and if he feels they are necessary.

Please keep us informed. "

I did not tell you not to use the steroids and I did recommend that you consult with your vet.

Your intimation that I said something I didn't and it influenced you to ignore your vet, upset me. Please be careful how you interpret and report of posts.