• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what I should do about Scooter's flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I agree. He needs endurance and more skill. The only way to get that is with practice.

If I am correct you have a lot of room for your birds (which is fantastic). I would give him more time to practice before doing anything drastic. You could always barrier off an area where he can fly and still be safe form the other birds. More work I know but so what. JMHO. :)
so what.... he says :rofl::rofl:
Too cold to use the outside now unfortunately. That would have been perfect.
Well, inspired by you I have just negotiated a deal. Scooter will hang out with his beloved dad in the computer room on his tree and they will ham radio together. Starting tomorrow in 15 minute increments. Let's see if this is the start of a beautiful friendship :p
I can't believe he said yes :eek:
:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
p.s. it's a nice size room....I have to bird proof it. Question is will he let me hang a net in there? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
It is a risk having a larger bird out and about with smaller birds, whether clipped or flighted. But perhaps have him out when the smaller birds are not? And in the mean time just teach that big boy how to fly :D
Since I'm a big proponent of fully-flighted birds, I would suggest this also. Saroj, what do you think?

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
so what.... he says :rofl::rofl:
Too cold to use the outside now unfortunately. That would have been perfect.
Well, inspired by you I have just negotiated a deal. Scooter will hang out with his beloved dad in the computer room on his tree and they will ham radio together. Starting tomorrow in 15 minute increments. Let's see if this is the start of a beautiful friendship :p
tell him to wrap all the cords in pvc pipe first lol.pretty soon scooter will be asking for his own radio so he can tell people to Knawk it off lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Still being spooked, and instead of flying, he is crashing.

I have taught all my 'toos how to fly :) I taught Gra how to fly, I taught Pua how to fly.. its easy ;) You start with a bird who has fully flighted wings. Big Scooter. And then an area of destination. You gently toss him from 3-5ft away, to the destination, and then slowly, as he builds up condifidence in flying, slowly move back a fat, 2 ft, 5 ft, 20ft, etc. And then move around a corner, etc. Soon you'll have him flying down one hall out into another hall out into the main bird room. This is what I have always done. Start from step one, from a short distance away from area of destination you want him to fly to (usually cage, or place stand, a place where he definetly recognized as SAFE ZONE)

Im not the best to explain these type of things, unless I spend a great deal of thought and effort into writing a marvelous report on how to teach your bird to fly:o: but I can recommend joining two fabulous yahoo flying groups; parrotrecalltraining and free-flight. Free-flight is homed to Chris Biro:heart::hehe:
thank you Mercedez. It's not horribly cold here yet.....we will try in the flying room outside.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Since I'm a big proponent of fully-flighted birds, I would suggest this also. Saroj, what do you think?
I'm thinking.I'm thinking.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of our flock is flighted. We have trained our birds with easy short throws and landing on large targets, i.e. bed, large play gym. Scooter would need to build muscle as Mercedes has mentioned and he would get better with experience. Eventually he should be able to easily land on a cage top, an arm, shoulder or playstand. Until then, having him out with your smaller flock is really not safe. It would be good to train him in a separate room.

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
All of our flock is flighted. We have trained our birds with easy short throws and landing on large targets, i.e. bed, large play gym. Scooter would need to build muscle as Mercedes has mentioned and he would get better with experience. Eventually he should be able to easily land on a cage top, an arm, shoulder or playstand. Until then, having him out with your smaller flock is really not safe. It would be good to train him in a separate room.
Agreed. He'll be fine once he learns how to fly and how to control his landing

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

I have just negotiated a deal. Scooter will hang out with his beloved dad in the computer room on his tree and they will ham radio together. Starting tomorrow in 15 minute increments. Let's see if this is the start of a beautiful friendship :p
p.s. it's a nice size room....I have to bird proof it. Question is will he let me hang a net in there? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
This is fantastic!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

LOL at the net :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is fantastic!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

LOL at the net :D
yes but I am sad. They are all out together from 7-8:30 AM. Now B. Scoot will have to stay caged in the morning :(
Or J&C will.
I think they are the startlers. They like being in Rudy's cage. Ok, not so bad then.:)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

yes but I am sad. They are all out together from 7-8:30 AM. Now B. Scoot will have to stay caged in the morning :(
Or J&C will.
I think they are the startlers. They like being in Rudy's cage. Ok, not so bad then.:)
:hug8: I know what a pain it is when your well established routines must change :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Saroj,

With practice, Scooter will become a proficent flier but it will take time and he will need to practice a lot. I know it can be scary when they first start because they don't have the skills they need but the only way to gain them is to keep working on them.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Yes, I agree, Sammy used to fly around the birdroom, crashing into things, (when her flights were growing in), and now that they are grown in, she is flying perfectly, she lands awesome, etc, but I have not trained her to fly to me on command, I will be working on that over the winter. How long has Scooter been flighted?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Status
Not open for further replies.