• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what I should do about Scooter's flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Big Scooter is flying when startled and today he landed on Jackson's sleep cage dangling precariously over her while she unsuspectingly trustingly sat on her little cage porch. If he had fallen she would have been crushed.

I only have 4- 5 hours in the day with the birds.
All are out together. I would like to keep it that way but don't want to clip either.
Ideas?

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Clip or separate out times is the only two options I can think of. I wish things were easier for you. :(

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Sorry I have know ideas. :hug8: I keep Peanut clipped ;)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Accidents will happen. Either when flighted or not. If you have time, have you thought about teacher Scooter to learn to maneuver in flight? I think that will help him when he is startled. And if I remember correctly, he hasnt been flighted before? It'll take a while for him to learn how to fly correctly.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Would it be possible to shove him in the dresser when you can't monitor him closely? :hehe:

I would limit his out of cage time or keep him in a place he wouldn't fly from when you can't watch him until he gains confidence.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Mercedez is right that he has to learn to fly correctly. Rocky used to spook/crash land too when her flights were growing in. Now she's landing on my outstretched hand, or will make laps to land safely on perches placed around the house.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Accidents will happen. Either when flighted or not. If you have time, have you thought about teacher Scooter to learn to maneuver in flight? I think that will help him when he is startled. And if I remember correctly, he hasnt been flighted before? It'll take a while for him to learn how to fly correctly.
First I'll ask this question:

What kind of accidents can happen if he is clipped?

Two : How does one teach a bird to maneuver in flight?
Yes it is true, quite possibly he has never flown in his 15 years until now...

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Build up chest muscles is what I meant, Rocky doesn't get winded anymore flying.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:rofl:
Would it be possible to shove him in the dresser when you can't monitor him closely? :hehe:

I would limit his out of cage time or keep him in a place he wouldn't fly from when you can't watch him until he gains confidence.
funny, Bobby! :rofl:

oh he hangs out exclusively on the dresser, and that was where he flew off from.....
He can turn in the air and is not smashing into walls too much. He just grabbed onto the sleep cage bars as he flew past it.,

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Build up chest muscles is what I meant, Rocky doesn't get winded anymore flying.
oh this one breathes heavily after the exertion!:eek:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

He'll be a pro soon :D As long as he's not flying to cause trouble I think he will be fine soon. It's all new to him :)

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
If you wish him to learn to fly and are concerned for the rest of your flock, something needs to be done to safeguard the other birds. An accident like the one you saw may or may not happen again.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
That is a tough decision you want to keep him and the others safe but you also want him to have the freedom of flight. I seriously thought about clipping Jaspers wings after he crashed into the window last weekend but hubby talked me out of it. It took Tango awhile to learn how to maneuver and land well and I am sure it will take Jasper awhile also but I feel it is worth it. All you can do is provide him with as safe as an environment you can and plenty of places for him to land on if he does get startled. Although with your birdroom set up I am sure there are plenty of places :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
no,no, I'm not worried about stuff crashing to the floor if he lands on it. Not much stuff like that in the bird room. He grabs onto nets and blinds and such. I just don't want him to collide with anyone.

Thank you all for helping :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree. He needs endurance and more skill. The only way to get that is with practice.

If I am correct you have a lot of room for your birds (which is fantastic). I would give him more time to practice before doing anything drastic. You could always barrier off an area where he can fly and still be safe form the other birds. More work I know but so what. JMHO. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
First I'll ask this question:

What kind of accidents can happen if he is clipped?
Still being spooked, and instead of flying, he is crashing.

Two : How does one teach a bird to maneuver in flight?

I have taught all my 'toos how to fly :) I taught Gra how to fly, I taught Pua how to fly.. its easy ;) You start with a bird who has fully flighted wings. Big Scooter. And then an area of destination. You gently toss him from 3-5ft away, to the destination, and then slowly, as he builds up condifidence in flying, slowly move back a fat, 2 ft, 5 ft, 20ft, etc. And then move around a corner, etc. Soon you'll have him flying down one hall out into another hall out into the main bird room. This is what I have always done. Start from step one, from a short distance away from area of destination you want him to fly to (usually cage, or place stand, a place where he definetly recognized as SAFE ZONE)

Im not the best to explain these type of things, unless I spend a great deal of thought and effort into writing a marvelous report on how to teach your bird to fly:o: but I can recommend joining two fabulous yahoo flying groups; parrotrecalltraining and free-flight. Free-flight is homed to Chris Biro:heart::hehe:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh then he needs tons more of practice still :)

I agree. He needs endurance and more skill. The only way to get that is with practice.

If I am correct you have a lot of room for your birds (which is fantastic). I would give him more time to practice before doing anything drastic. You could always barrier off an area where he can fly and still be safe form the other birds. More work I know but so what. JMHO. :)
I agree :) The more flying opportunities he has, the more his skill with flying improves.

If you wish him to learn to fly and are concerned for the rest of your flock, something needs to be done to safeguard the other birds. An accident like the one you saw may or may not happen again.

It is a risk having a larger bird out and about with smaller birds, whether clipped or flighted. But perhaps have him out when the smaller birds are not? And in the mean time just teach that big boy how to fly :D

Last edited:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I agree with everyone. I don't know if you all remember, but when I took Zoe awhile ago to get her nails trimmed the lady cut her wings. I was just devastated, but she adjusted and now they have grown back in. At first she wasn't that good at it, but slowly she has really improved the distance and ability to change directions and land. In the morning when she is impatient for breakfast she will call me a couple times and then she flies out and lands on my shoulder. It is the cutest thing. He just needs to practice, poor little guy. It is so satisfying to let them make their choices. She still doesn't know how to fly back to me from the spare bedroom, so she will just call and call until I go get her, but I am confident she will figure it out... they are soo smart! Best of luck Saroj!

Status
Not open for further replies.