• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what he's doing with his mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
My new rescue quaker does something with his mouth that I've never seen a bird do before. He will do his beak up and down, really fast, like he's chewing something but there is nothing in his mouth. I have looked in his beak and don't see anything that may be bothering or irritating him. Looks fine to me. Unless it's just a quirk he has?

He is going to the vet in the morning but was just wondering if anyone else has seen this? And of course he probably won't do it at the vet's office. :rolleyes:

Can they be anymore like human babies and worry us any less? No! :cool:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I haven't seen this before with either of mine. Maybe someone else can help answer this better than I can :)

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
No I have not seen this but dont give up Im sure somone will be along soon who can help about this. Hug's Barb and Isis
Does it seem like hes doing this out of HABIT?? Or more like a spasms? and Is his tongue moving when he does it??

Last edited:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
It's not spasms I don't think, and his tongue isn't moving, I don't think? Maybe it is habit?

I wish I could have gotten it on video to show my vet.

I notice he does it sometimes when he's getting ready to take a nap. It's not beak grinding or clicking. He seems fine in every other way. Hopefully the vet will know. If he doesn't do it tomorrow at the vet's office maybe I can get it on video for the vet and for y'all to see.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Never seen it before, but I'm sure it's nothing serious! good luck at the Vets tomorrow.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Were you eating something when he does it and was he watching?? My birds do that when they see me eating as if to say I want some too.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks Renae, I hope not either.

Hi John, no, I'm not eating when he does it. He does it sometimes after he eats or when he's getting ready to fall asleep. If I pick him up he quits doing it. Does that sound like some kind of habit? Or maybe a comfort thing? The vet may see something in his mouth I'm not seeing.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I've never seen my birds do that, either.
Archie opens his beak and closes it rapidly when I talk to him sometimes, but its almost like he's trying to talk back, and he generally makes a few quiet chirps while doing it as though to respond. Let us know what the vet says!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I don't think I have ever seen Squeeky do this.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Hmm, not here either. Im not sure what it is. Maybe, hopefully he will do this at the vets but they never do things like that when you want them too. Keep us updated on what the vet says about it.

Is his eyes and nostrils clean and clear or runny? Any discharge or moisture around the beak like drooling?

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Well, of course he didn't do the mouth thing at the vet. The vet checked his beak, mouth and throat thoroughly and couldn't find anything. He said his ears, throat and nares were clear. Lungs and heart sounded fine. Droppings were fine. He was so good for the vet. I was so proud. :heart: He commented on what a good personality he has and how pretty his feathers were considering what his diet was like. The vet also has a good personality and he's pretty too. :p Bad Deb. :rolleyes:

Some of the blood work will be back Monday. He said the rest will take longer.

He also does this vibrating thing with his tail. He did do that at the vet. He said that and the mouth thing he does could be a habit, being nervous or wanting attention. He quit when the vet distracted him so he has control over it, like he does with the mouth thing.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Good to hear it went well! :D

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
OF COURSE he did not do that at the vets, lol. But Im happy to hear he is okay and got a clean bill of health. :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.