• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't believe it - frozen veggies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
:omg: For 9 MONTHS I've been trying to get Ceddy to eat green foods (broccoli, leafy greens, green beans etc), as well as other veggies like carrots etc. trying to be a good mum always fresh, also tried cooked - NOTHING, most were used merely for shredding except for her favourites like corn, red peppers, peas and fruits.

Today I'm not feeling my best (struggling with the heat which also caused a migraine) and I really don't feel like going shopping despite a nearly empty fridge. So I gave her a bought frozen veggie mix for lunch, (ready cut green beans, broccoli, red peppers, carrots), defrosted of course, added some chopped up leafy salad mix, a little chopped nuts and a tiny bit of seeds...

WELL, she munched nearly ALL of it! And I mean EATING them, not just shredding! Go figure!!! :huh: I'm literally in shock :eek:

Has anyone seen their bird(s) preferring frozen, thawed veggies to fresh? I'm beginning to think that she might have been brought up on frozen veggies (and seeds) and apparently prefers them :confused:.

I think I'm going to do some experimenting, but if that's what it takes for her to eat her greens, I'm beginning to think that's fine, better than her not eating them at all?

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
It is defiantly better then not eating them at all. Boomer is a bit fussy but I have a bag of frozen veggies so Im going to try that today. Chiquita likes them slightly cooked. You should start experimenting. Chiquita hates sweet potato but it’s so good for them I mix in mashed banana and apple sauce in there along with some canned pears and she gobbles that up like no tomorrow. Experimenting and hiding nutritious food in with something they like is a good way to get them to eat it.

feebee

Jogging around the block
i asked the same thing back on the other forum and the reply i got was that as long as i didnt heat them then they are fine :) as reheating will loose some of the value, so if she likes all good :) of course you can offer/ mix in other veggies with the frozen ones :)

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
My birds love frozen veggies too! I give them lots of others but they do seem to like frozen ones the best .:dance4:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
...Chiquita hates sweet potato but it’s so good for them I mix in mashed banana and apple sauce in there along with some canned pears and she gobbles that up like no tomorrow. Experimenting and hiding nutritious food in with something they like is a good way to get them to eat it.
Yes, I have been mixing them in, making birdie breads as well as comfort feeding mash (which she refuses more and more) etc. and always make sure it contains large proportions of those veggies she should eat but refuses, like carrots, broccoli, sweet potato etc. So she has been getting some of the nutrition but if she'll also accept the frozen ones for her afternoon feedings, it'll be so much better (and easier for me :p)

i asked the same thing back on the other forum and the reply i got was that as long as i didnt heat them then they are fine :) as reheating will loose some of the value, so if she likes all good :) of course you can offer/ mix in other veggies with the frozen ones :)
I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)

Actually, I've seen several tests where nutrition values of fresh supermarket veggies were compared to frozen and the surprising results were always that many of the frozen contained the same or even more of the values because they are frozen very shortly after harvest while so-called fresh supermarket ones had lost some of the values through storage.

My birds love frozen veggies too! I give them lots of others but they do seem to like frozen ones the best .:dance4:
Interesting! I wonder why they would prefer the frozen ones? Just another one of those birdie mysteries, I guess :rolleyes:

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
Actually, I've seen several tests where nutrition values of fresh supermarket veggies were compared to frozen and the surprising results were always that many of the frozen contained the same or even more of the values because they are frozen very shortly after harvest while so-called fresh supermarket ones had lost some of the values through storage.
i have heard the samething about frozen being better cause its picked at its peak and quick froze so it stops the ripening process. the fresh stuff you have no idea how long its been around and it looses vitamins quickly. look at the apples here in oz they are stored for months (almost a year sometimes) and stale by the time we get them. most stuff is picked on the not ripe side so it can ripen in storage.and the stuff that comes from other countries including the usa gets stuck in customs for so long the items really are not very good by the time the stores get them.i know this is true of the naval oranges from the usa here they are horrible and they are at least 6 months old by the time they get here. but back in the states when they are just picked and havent spent months in customs they are the best oranges you can get.
my guys prefer frozen also. but love fresh brussel sprouts and peppers.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
MIne all love love love the frozen mixed veggies...they run for the bowl when I put it in there...they get the fresh once a day and the frozen mixed in with other things in the evening....they all have their favorite part, but really dive right in.

I also heard something similar as far as nutritional values.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Woohoo, way to go Ceddy. :dancing::dancing:

My guys LOVE frozen veggies also.. that's one thing they make sure is finished first before anything else. :p

Cape Cod Bird Man

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roger
Our bigger birds love the frozen vegies. Robbie our new slender billed love hot peppers, so she get them added; the other birds aren't crazy about hot stuff. Corn & peas are big hits for the conures and the lovebirds. The 'tiels are partial to carrots and corn. We mix birdy bread and fresh fruits and fresh kale, broccoli, summer squash -- in season vegies. I do find that I check out the salt content of the packages. Some brands are packed with a little, other "Natural" brands have none.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
felix is an any kinda veggie kinda guy but seems to like them fresh, where Sunny prefers frozen (soggier maybe?)

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I make a mixture of brown rice or curly whole wheat pasta with frozen veggies for dinner most nights...they love it and eat it all up.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Kei used to be like that. All he would eat was frozen veggies and some fruit. What worked for me was taking his dry food away at night and offering only finely shredded (in the food processor) fresh food for the the first few hours of the day. He started eating them immediately. You can also mix some of the frozen in with the fresh so it lookes familiar.

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
Tiki loves the Organic frozen veggie mix from Costco~ but she will also eat fresh if it is put into some sort of foraging toy...Not a very picky Senegal here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.