• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I don’t know

Jamesj

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I’m new the forum and a new friend to a young budgie. We purchased him from a local breeder about a month ago, he’s 3 months old now. Behaviourally he’s doing great, eating well and oh so friendly. Always asking to be rubbed around his head/neck and comes when called. I small bitting issue the first week but that’s no longer a thing. He always had some discolouration on his beak and I just thought it was baby related and would go away. But I think it’s getting worse. There’s some dark spots and the edges look whitish and brittle. He eats good and drinks a little but honestly he seems to have an aversion to water. We’re feeding him a mix we bought at petsmart, I’ll post a pick of that as well. Should I be worried? He doesn’t act sick at all.

Attachments

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks normal to me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't see anything wrong with his beak - but I'm not well versed on budgies. He's a pretty boy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie! :heart: He looks normal to me also.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Congratulations on your new friend! Looks very cute.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the beak, but I don't have a budgie at home to compare to.
If you're thinking about the long term health of your bird, definitely take a look at some of the other parts of the forum. Lots of great advice and inspiration for how to incorporate varied foods into your little one's diet. A healthy diet is a great way to make sure that birds have all of the nutrients they need for healthy beaks, nails, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Jamesj

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much everyone, y’all put our minds at ease. I’m so glad we joined this forum.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Looks like his beak may be chipped a bit or scraped on something. I would continue to watch it for any further changes. If he is eating veggies or chop he may get some food stuck on this part of the beak and if that happens I would just wipe it clean. Thanks for your noticing and taking good care of him. Like others say it does not appear to be serious. It should heal over. Beaks grow like fingernails.

Reactions: tka

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Again, sorry for the late reply.

Like others have said, the beak looks fine and there's nothing to worry about. What you are seeing is just leftover melanin in the beak, and this will fade as your bird matures. I've had chicks with nearly solid black beaks before, but it's all totally Ok

:)