• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don’t know what to do .

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
I don’t know what else to do with cockroaches in my house and we are trying everything but since we can use chemicals because of my bird I have found them twice on my Lucas cage and I have to wake him up twice and he gets so scare that he starts flapping his wings when he sees them inside that’s when I know they are in there . My house is clean but I guess is infested with them and I am worried about my Lucas any suggestion to stop them from getting in to Lucas house ?

Attachments

animalover

Jogging around the block
you can try using gel poison! thats how I kill bugs in the house, but I make sure none of the birds eat it obviously because its poisonous duh. there's probably other efficient ways, but this is how I do it! works for a while but they always end up coming back.. maybe you could put him in a relative or friends house until the situation is sorted out?

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
you can try using gel poison! thats how I kill bugs in the house, but I make sure none of the birds eat it obviously because its poisonous duh. there's probably other efficient ways, but this is how I do it! works for a while but they always end up coming back.. maybe you could put him in a relative or friends house until the situation is sorted out?
Thanks and no unfortunately I don’t have any one that can take care of my baby :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have Ecogel drops where you are? It is a syringe full of paste, and you put dots under furniture and in cracks where the roaches go.
I used to be manager for a few businesses here and the one on the beach front had a cellar and when I was left in charge, there were thousands of roaches. It was awful working there. A friend of mine told me about the drops so we went there, put the drops everywhere and cleaned out the cellar. We did it often and within weeks the number greatly reduced, we hardly saw them after that, we had to out the drops down frequently because roaches were rife in that area so we had to keep on top of it.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
We had an issue with bugs in our house a few years ago, and were worried about toxic chemicals, so we used diatomaceous earth. We put it along the baseboards of the rooms we were seeing most of the bugs in and it helped with the bug problem pretty fast. After a little bit we vacuumed it up. And I found online that as long as you get food grade diatomaceous earth it should be nontoxic. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think it is bird safe. So you could possibly try that?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I use Avian Insect Liquidator

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only thing I've read about DE is that it is better if applied in a slurry around birds. I think it's an inhalation risk?
Yes it can definitely be an inhalation risk, for pets and people

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Do you have Ecogel drops where you are? It is a syringe full of paste, and you put dots under furniture and in cracks where the roaches go.
I used to be manager for a few businesses here and the one on the beach front had a cellar and when I was left in charge, there were thousands of roaches. It was awful working there. A friend of mine told me about the drops so we went there, put the drops everywhere and cleaned out the cellar. We did it often and within weeks the number greatly reduced, we hardly saw them after that, we had to out the drops down frequently because roaches were rife in that area so we had to keep on top of it.
I am here in Los Angeles California , that’s the name of it ? And I don’t have any one to take care Lucas so do you think by taking him to room enough ? I will put it overnight . Yeah is awful they keep crawling to his cage and I have to wake him on the middle of the night is sad

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The drops and the station are the same, thje different is the station has the plastic around the bait. So I would try those plastic ones if you can find them and put them around Lucas cage at night.
The plastic huts are better so you don´t have to worry about where to put the drops and if you forget about them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have used bait stations like the “combat” ones Mizzely posted. They work very fast and quite well. The roaches take some of the bait back to their nest and kill more than just themselves with the poison in the baits.
I have never noticed a smell from them but I also did not deliberately smell them.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would not use diatomaceous earth. It's dangerous if inhaled. I'd try the bait traps.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
The roaches take some of the bait back to their nest and kill more than just themselves with the poison in the baits.
Do poisoned cockroaches have a similar impact up the food chain as poisoned rodents do?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do poisoned cockroaches have a similar impact up the food chain as poisoned rodents do?
I guess they would if they were eaten but given where they nest I would not think there would be much of an impact as there’s not usually a heap of creatures living in our houses. I haven’t researched it to be honest.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
The drops and the station are the same, thje different is the station has the plastic around the bait. So I would try those plastic ones if you can find them and put them around Lucas cage at night.
The plastic huts are better so you don´t have to worry about where to put the drops and if you forget about them.
So they should fine for my bird it won’t have any chemicals coming out ? Sorry I have never used this before