• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I do not know what to do. Cat attack...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Today when I was checking on my sheep I noticed a kitten playing with something. It was a juvenile starling! I immediately took it from the kitten. I've been wanting to adopt a starling, but I noticed it's leg was completely broken and hanging from it's side. I felt horrible! Right now I have it in a hospital tank surrounded by towels to prop it up because it has no use of it's left leg. I would normally rush the bird to the clinic I volunteer at, but they euthanize starlings immediately. :( I want to save it, but I do not want it suffering with one leg...the injured leg would have to be amputated because the puncture wounds and break is at the thigh. It's such a beautiful bird, so I feel horrible to take it to the clinic for it's "death sentence" I don't know what to do...any input would be great since I want to make my decision by tomorrow. I don't want it in pain for very long :(

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Oh no. :( I'm not sure how you can help him. You can keep him nice and warm inside of the tank, offer him water and some food. That leg will need to be removed, but if the vet can't do it since they'll put them down then I'm not sure how you can fix him. Poor little guy.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Take him to an avian vet :)
That's what I would do too, obviously he must see a vet, one way or another :(
I think an avian vet is your only option if the clinic you volunteer at would euthanize him. :hug8:
Would they still euthanize if you said you wanted to keep it and you'd pay for the treatment? :huh:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
If the starling is a 'foreign' or pest species in the area they may euthanize instead of treat because they don't want any more in the area to add to an already large problem.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I meant to add into my post that it's a wild bird clinic I volunteer at. I'm going to call my avian vet tomorrow and see what she says before taking it anywhere. Does anyone know if a starling can live with one leg? They aren't large birds, but I would think it might be difficult for it to move around.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
If the starling is a 'foreign' or pest species in the area they may euthanize instead of treat because they don't want any more in the area to add to an already large problem.
Yes, since they are an invasive species they are considered a pest and will not treat them. But it is legal here to keep one as a pet.

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
FROM THE ADVICE OF A WILDLIFE REHABBER ... NEOSPORIN (WATER BASED) MIXED W/ GUN POWDER (LIKE FROM A SHOTGUN SHELL). MIX IT TOGETHER & PUT IT IN THE WOUND 2X PER DAY. It WORKED on a dove w/ a cat bite we had a few years ago ... BUT you have to get it quickly in order to prevent the toxins in the saliva from causing infection through the blood stream.

You will also likely have to feed & water the bird as well. You should NOT attempt to do this on your own if you are not a licensed rehabber - most states have laws against it. But, it sounds like your local rehab told you it was a lost cause. If you want some other info or have any other questions - feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I meant to add into my post that it's a wild bird clinic I volunteer at. I'm going to call my avian vet tomorrow and see what she says before taking it anywhere. Does anyone know if a starling can live with one leg? They aren't large birds, but I would think it might be difficult for it to move around.
Wild birds can live w/ one leg as long as they can fly. Around the Starbucks we used to frequent in FL they had 2 blackbirds w/ one leg. They did just fine. They will adapt w/ no difficulties.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also wanted to mention the quality of life this starring would have. Let's say he heals fine with vet treatment, and you finish his feeding. He is of the age that he knows he is a bird, and unlike parrots, soft billed type birds don't really do well in solitary non same species homes. Just some thoughts.

Myko(mimi) was handraised and an excellent bird. I personally would probably call avian vet and talk about the quality of life this guy would have and if you had to euthanize him, look into getting a handraised baby.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The bird need a vet and antibiotics, you have about a 12 hour window to get the bird to a vet should the wound be compromised and infected with saliva bacteria, (Pasteurella multocida). In order for the bird to live it needs antibiotics, Clavamox is the choice of most vets.

Gary

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
The issue is that the bacteria in cat saliva acts fast. Humans can get severe infections from cat bites in as little as 2 hours, and infections usually show up in 12 hours or so. I would take the bird to an avian vet ASAP.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Ok so I've talked to my avain vet and she said that she would take a look at him. So I'll give an update as soon as I know anything.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Appx how old is it? Best of luck at the vet!

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Sorry about the lack of update yesterday, i had a late graduation to attend and was unable to get to my computer. But when i was taking him to the vet he suddenly died in the car :( :( I'm thinking it was from the infection in his leg :( I'm really sad, so I think I'll look into getting a handraised starling one day.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Ohh no :( I'm so sorry! Rest in peace little guy. Where are you located? Anywhere near me?

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I'm in DE now, I just moved back from Boston!

Status
Not open for further replies.