• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I didn't want a Rescue.

Sookiebird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Fantastic story! You sound like one of those rare people who truly takes the time to think about what a commitment a parrot can be. I kind of jumped into fostering birds, made tons of mistakes (birds can be forgiving thankfully), but eventually got it together. Fostering is hard. I have a blue fronted amazon I'm fostering now and while we love him and adore him, I do have three other parrots and don't want to overload myself. I hope I can find someone like you to adopt my boy-zon:).

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
What an incredible story!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What an amazing, powerful story. Thank you so much for sharing it. Too bad we can only "like" it; we need a "Loved it" option! :thumbsup: I think a lot of people start out feeling that rescues are just "damaged goods", but there are so many incredible personalities that deserve a safe and loving home.

MrsBigE

Moving in
Real Name
Peg
This was a great story. You remind me of myself a but because my son says "I always get the broken animals." Well those animals need live as much as the others and I find they've always got a ton to give.
My husband believes that animals "live in the moment" and I hearing stories like yours and others where an animal us abused I always pray he's right so they can move on to a good life and forget the past.
Thanks for sharing!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I honestly loved this story, and I think many people need to read this to understand why rescues need good loving homes.

When I read the part where Khepri (I'm so sorry if i misspelled her name) gave the "wwwwwaaaaooow!!" I felt like she just knew you were the right parront for her, she knew that you were her Knight In Shining Armor so to speak!

I've told my partner countless of times that when we get a place of our own, and when we are ready to have a bigger bird that I will be looking to get a rescue. And this story sums up why. Thank you so much for sharing this story, it's really made my day!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Guess its the 2nd or 3rd read...So sweet that she rode home on the arm. Trust after all that.
:sad7:

Wonder any recent updates?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a great story. You remind me of myself a but because my son says "I always get the broken animals." Well those animals need live as much as the others and I find they've always got a ton to give.
That's how we look it it. We kind of get the ones people have messed up. Our male tiel, Snuggles, is the exception. And the new tiel is a good boy. However, before him was our first adopted bird, Sashimi, male tiel who passed last year....despised us. All 13 years we had him. But that was OK. He had a strong bite!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
What a tearful story... omg i need tissues!
The openingpost pics dont wory anymore :( any chance of seeing more recent pics? :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I believe the original poster hasn't been on since December 2013.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
I too cried in reading about that poor little bird, but happy with the ending. I hope you two have many years of happiness together, bless you for taking him in.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's time for a bump again..

I sat, car idling at a long stop light, the last one before I got home, kicking myself for being so gullible and for buying a neglected bird for full price:

I didn't want a rescue.
I didn't want a bird that I had to "fix"
I didn't want a bird that other people had neglected
I didn't want to pay full price to fix other people's problems
I didn't want to deal with the anger, the bites, and the screeching
I wanted a bird to love
I wanted a bird to keep from ever experiencing harm
I wanted a bird to bond with.

But then I realized, as my new friend started picking her little bits of bird-dust delicately off of my arm, her little feet nice and toasty on my arm...

She didn't want to become a rescue.
She didn't want to be broken
She didn't want to be neglected
She didn't want to bounce from home to home
She didn't want to be angry, bite people, or scream in terror.
She wanted a person to love
She wanted to live a life free of harm
She wanted a person to bond with.
Those words above should be on a poster on my wall! And also perhaps on every rescues wall too.
And if we are talking about my last rescue I can tell that that I gladly will fix her over and over again because it's so worth it! ♥

Vickytoria

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
This story brought tears to my eyes. I just went through this same exact thing with my ferret & he's been truly the best thing that ever happened to me.

Here i am trying to find out if a bird is the right pet for me & I'm on here to learn more before i plunged into it.

Beautiful story. Will make me think more about it.

Catherinemcg

Checking out the neighborhood
You are a wonderful person, honest, sincere, and kind. Also a wonderful writer. You kept my interest to the end. I'm so happy you found each other. It was meant to be. I am the proud parront of 2 conure, dolly was a rescue from a home that didnt like her noise or mess so they kept her confined to a coveredcage. And raisin was the product o f a bad breeder. I love them with every part of my being. They bite sometimes but they talk to me constantly. They love being on my shoulder and they eat off my plate . I know my bad lol. I am going to be taking home a 12 yr old cockatoo on saturday. I hope he bonds with me like your lille one bonded with you. Love and peace my friend.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
yes a beautiful story and i somehow guessed where you were heading. isnt it uncanny how we think we have set our minds against something and then hey ho we get exactly what we thought we'd rather not have. lucky bird and lucky you, enjoy! x